Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Student Motivation

Quote Originally Posted by DonM View Post
    Some Profs pound assignments in high quantities as a method for keeping motivation high. I don't do that - I interact with them as professionals in the industry - the mature students weed them selves out of the pack of the apathetic and get a lot of value out of what we do.
    What I learned on my summer vacation.

I think I should restrict my efforts at teaching to situations with those who are keenly interested and are sponges. I don't do well when the students aren't right there with me mentally.

I guess that's immature or unrealistic on my part to expect so much.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Student motivation?

Teacher says, "I don't grade on a curve. You know the information, you pass. You don't, you have to see me again."
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

New post to this thread.

A group of my students hastily put together this video and did it in less than a couple of hours just for fun. No assignment, no points or credit, just some fun. They sent me the link this afternoon. Since I know these students I find this hysterical in many ways - My intention in sharing this to let you know how much of I enjoy these young men and women and how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to work with them.

The Twelve Days of Christmas

-D

Default help me to have an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I don't think any of them had ever listened "into" an orchestral recording before. They may just have been stunned and disoriented.
    Hi Lynn
    When I went to recording school in US the hardest thing, well the most difficult thing for me was I didn't have any reference, my taste of "good" sound . The concept of "Tone, color, dynamics, good sound, bad sound" was very foreign to me. I developed my taste of "my good sound" once I started recording with microphones a real band. After then using EQ, Comp made more sense because I was developing my taste and understand what they really do when I was tracking. Although I do think it is easier to find 8 unmotivated people than one, just from my observations of my school mates.

The problem has always been that the majority of folks don't really want to be skilled engineers/mixers.

They are only willing to learn what they think they'll need to become a producer or a pop star.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
    The problem has always been that the majority of folks don't really want to be skilled engineers/mixers.

They are only willing to learn what they think they'll need to become a producer or a pop star.
    Truth...and with the seemingly unending onslaught of 'tools' to turn mediocrity into acceptability, what is to challenge that thought process?

Do the courses under debate teach like everything else - to pass the test, or do they actually teach to learn the material?

Kind of makes a difference.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Exactly my point, Lynn. In my classes, I introduce MANY topics and items/projects that I would think most students would jump into, but never do. I teach everything from radio, broadcasting, audio, computer networking, website technologies, and general electronics. Throughout a semester, I give students ideas of projects they can get involved with for class credit, with hardly ever any takers.

Examples recently have been:
    • Develop a dynamic website for the department and club.
    • Create a promo video for the department.
    • Enhance the laboratory computer network with additional features (file server, etc.)
    • Repair several audio devices in the shop.
    • Design a circuit for adding computer control to our antenna rotator.
    • ...plus many more.

I also welcome any ideas for projects. Never had the first suggestion...never. It amazes me that kid's wouldn't think these activities or projects would be fun experiencing the process. After all, they are in an electronic engineering program. Our recent addition of amateur radio to the program has helped excite some students, but it's still a very small excitement! It's a different world that we live in today versus my years in college.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Well, I taught a class on equalization two weeks ago. There were 8 students, all seniors. Just one hour and fifteen minutes, and it was the week of Thanksgiving but three days before Thanksgiving. I gave it all I had.

I brought in an 80 channel orchestral recording, sub'd to stems as drums, bass, rhythm insts, brass, woodwinds, strings, orchestral perc and loops. It was a 54 piece orchestral recording done all live in the studio at the same time. I showed the component parts and showed how you could change not only the timbre of the instruments but even the relative balance of the instruments with just EQ. How you could mix the tracks using EQ and not touching the faders. How to bring things forward and back in the mix. How you could make one thing sound huge and fantastic but it wouldn't fit in with the whole and contribute the right way. How fattening up the snare sounded great but made it sound dull in the context of the mix. How boosting upper mids can sound like pulling out lower mids. How putting a lot of bloom on the tympani would obliterate the definition in the double basses. How accenting the rhythmic figure in the double basses stole the thunder from the bass trombone. How brightening up the piatti sounded cool when solo'd but made it sound like an overdub instead of an integral part of the orchestral whole.

I really thought there was a lot of meat to the presentation.

I asked if there were any questions the whole way through the presentation and there was not a single question the whole time. Not even when I was done. I even offered to let them sit down at the 96 input Neve 80-series console in front of the Allen Sides monitors and try their hand at mixing it. No takers.

I was shocked.

In all honesty, I think they may have been overwhelmed. I don't think any of them had ever listened "into" an orchestral recording before. They may just have been stunned and disoriented.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I can make 2 quick generalities about teaching music tech from my past 4 years in higher ed:

1) when I teach topics that seem really applicable to the 1st steps of music production, students pay attention (micing drums, acoustic and electric guitar, vocals).

These are beginners so getting into EQ and compression is a few steps ahead. Even most of the seniors in a recording program have only run a few recording sessions. They can imagine themselves recording these instruments soon...and then they'll figure out the next set of problems that come after!

2) when we cover modern music genres they get more interested (house, trance, etc)

After learning how to use a fun pattern-oriented drum machine, the kids really dig mixing techniques used in modern dance music production like gating with side-chaining, layering of kick drums, etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12