Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited tracks

Default Limited tracks

Hey ya'll,

If you were limited to two tracks for drums, what's the best way to use them for a Rock track?

1- Kick
    2 - Overheads/snare/toms

is what I've done in the past.

What about three tracks?

I've usually done:

1- Kick
    2&3 - Overhead, snare & toms panned stereo

or

1-Kick
    2- Snare
    3 - Overheads/toms

Any opinions?

Thanks -jp
    I need more cowbell!

If you've only got two tracks, just make a stereo mix and hope you get it right for the mix. I wouldn't want mono drums.

I'd skip 3 and go to four and do what I used to do with the old Ampex 16 track - kick - snare - stereo everything else.

If you had to do three, stereo mix of everything and then choose either kick or snare. I'd probably choose kick as low end can be fussier than high end.

If you put a really weird EQ on your snare with a narrow Q during tracking, you might be able to repeat that EQ on mix if you need to pull the snare up slightly.

It's not ideal, but you do what you can with what you have.
    "Death Therapy, Bob. Guaranteed cure."-Dr. Leo Marvin

-George Bartholomew

If it's live to two track - why not premix in to a mixer? In other words break out that old Mackie 1604 and hang 6 mics then premix to stereo ....

-D

I'm limited by my inputs on the Presonus Firebox.

Going to be tracking drums, bass and piano live.

The Firebox does have two more inputs that are S/PDIF that I ran through my old DAT machine to get another input. That DAT died, so no can do now.

I was thinking of getting something ele to run through to convert to S/PDIF.
    It has to plug into a coax type input on the Firebox.

-jp
    I need more cowbell!

Sorry - I misunderstood. When you said "tracks" I didn't realize we were talking about inputs. I'm used to working with a large analog console.

-George Bartholomew

My mistake, I should have titled it Limited Inputs on Firebox.

-jp
    I need more cowbell!

I use only 4 tracks for drums. Kick/snare/stereo OverHeads. Most of my snare sound comes from the OH's so I sometimes don't need the snare track at all. Also sometimes a mono drum mix seems to have more punch.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

I got some advice on exactly this problem (full kit, short on inputs in recording a live show with a lot of players) from a Maestro Scott Fraser, of this forum. His suggestion was to use one mic overhead, more or less the drummer's perspective (but above his head) and then to place the other mic on a short stand in the space between the bass drum and snare stand, with some experimentation re placement. This worked very well for me--and the whole band was packed together like sardines (incl amps).

Philip Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    I got some advice on exactly this problem (full kit, short on inputs in recording a live show with a lot of players) from a Maestro Scott Fraser, of this forum. His suggestion was to use one mic overhead, more or less the drummer's perspective (but above his head) and then to place the other mic on a short stand in the space between the bass drum and snare stand, with some experimentation re placement. This worked very well for me--and the whole band was packed together like sardines (incl amps).

Philip Perkins
    Pappas, the Neumann rep, suggested something similar.

It might work live (I just did a smaller gig where I didn't mic the drums at all - though I would have done kick and snare if I had the gear handy) but I wouldn't try to make a rock record this way.

The drums are the main instrument in a true rock record. They must be fussed over. Even as guitars and vocals are layed over them, they must remain the center of the mix, and spread across the stereo spectrum.

-George Bartholomew

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post

Philip Perkins
    +1

The other quick and dirty would be just the mono overhead (usually centred directly above the snare) and the other as FOK, placed far enough back to get the 'boom' of the kick, or alternately directly in the kick and go for that, depending on the style and player. The other option is to multi-mic as needed (kick/snare/stereo OH/room mic-stereo or mono) and submix it down to stereo to feed the A/D's...

I hope this helps, and good luck!
    N. Jay Burr
    PlugHead Productions

http://www.plugheadproductions.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast