Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Flying

Default Fear of Flying

Saw a news teaser about two planes crashing into each other mid-air in Colorado with a video clip of something falling while burning/smoking with a chute deployed. Do small private jets have chutes?

The older I get the more I hate to fly. The only problem is that I hate sitting in a car for 12 hours even more.

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Saw a news teaser about two planes crashing into each other mid-air in Colorado with a video clip of something falling while burning/smoking with a chute deployed. Do small private jets have chutes?

The older I get the more I hate to fly. The only problem is that I hate sitting in a car for 12 hours even more.
    I would much rather fly than sit in a car for that long. I like road trips, but that to me is drudgery. 25 years ago....... no problem.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

My longest road trip ever was from El Paso, Texas to Detroit in a mid sized car with 3 other guys. I'm pretty sure it took us 10-12 hours just to get out of Texas and IIRC the entire trip was about 36 hours... only stopping for food, gas and stretching.

I was 19 then and I vowed "never again". The longest trip since then was from North Carolina to here when my wife at the time graduated college, we had to get her car here... no choice... about 12 hours. That was 20 years ago.

Since then 4-6 hours max. Anything longer than that I'll fly somewhere close, rent a car if I have to, drive an hour, and meet you there.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 02-07-2010 at 05:26 AM.

Since then 4-6 hours max. Anything longer than that I'll fly somewhere close, rent a car if I have to, drive an hour, and meet you there.
    Man, anything longer than 1.5 hrs and I'm losing it.

City kid, I am.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

It's called a ballistic parachute. I think only the Cirrus plane has it.

Better than nothing.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

My longest road trip ever was from El Paso, Texas to Detroit in a mid sized car with 3 other guys. I'm pretty sure it took us 10-12 hours just to get out of Texas and IIRC the entire trip was about 36 hours... only stopping for food, gas and stretching.
    Only 36 hours? You ain't lived until you've driven ocean-to-ocean non stop! I did it as soon as I graduated high school. I was so tired at one point, I was hallucinating and thought I saw a circus on highway - complete with clowns and elephants. I pulled over to see if anyone needed a ride and that's when I woke up - standing on the side of the road yelling at the clowns. Later, I slammed on the breaks because a roll of roofing paper I had been balancing on the front edge of my hood finally broke free and rolled up and over the windshield causing a complete blackout - turns out I was 'driving and dreaming'.

I drove from Virginia Beach to Santa Monica basically non-stop - just to say I did it... The journal I kept on the trip got stolen about 20 years ago from a hotel room in St. Louis. About the only thing I've ever lost that really pissed me off - esp. now, cuz I barely remember it....
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Only 36 hours? You ain't lived until you've driven ocean-to-ocean non stop!
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/rant/pee.html

Hope this helps!

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

City kid, I am.
    If that were the case here, I would NEVER gig...(not that I do much anymore, different thread)

Midland is pretty dry right now, so travel is the only option. Midland to (all shown one way, speed limits relatively adhered to)

San Angelo: 1.5 hrs
    Abilene: 3 hrs
    Lubbock: 2 hrs
    Big Spring: .45hr
    Snyder 1.5hr
    El Paso 4.5 hr
    Alpine 3.75 hr
    Ft Stockton 2.5 hr
    Dallas 4.5 hr
    Austin 5 hr
    Amarillo 5 hr
    Ruidodo 2.75 hr

Granted most of the wheel time is 75 MPH, but its still a chore sometimes...

But it does beat flying. No gates, no TSA rules, smoke if you want to, no obnoxious crowds, and so on...plus how much can one actually SEE when travelling at 600 MPH 3 miles up?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    ...plus how much can one actually SEE when travelling at 600 MPH 3 miles up?
    The insides of your eyelids!

I like a good road trip if I'm not the one driving.
    Last edited by Gio; 02-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Only 36 hours? You ain't lived until you've driven ocean-to-ocean non stop! I did it as soon as I graduated high school. I was so tired at one point, I was hallucinating and thought I saw a circus on highway - complete with clowns and elephants.
    That's funny... but certainly the reality.

When I drove from North Kakalaki I took a "shortcut" for awhile that was off of the Interstate (yeah, I found out... dumb idea) and drove for about 4 hours off the beaten path at night on roads with no lighting and no traffic. I swear I didn't see another moving car almost the entire time. I started hallucinating after about two hours... seeing things running across the road that weren't there, seeing bends in the roads that weren't there.

I was pretty sure that a Unicorn was in my near future.

I was really happy when I saw the Interstate again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Really? I know people who drive over an hour one way to work every day.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 02-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast