Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will outboard hardware go away?

Default Will outboard hardware go away?

Of course not now, but in 5-10 years? I mean literally day-by-day we see engineers make the jump to fully itb mixing. Studios closing, manufacturers struggling to survive. Plugins are dead cheap compared to hardware.
    Is this only a bad trend which takes a few years to fade away? Or is it really the future?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
    Of course not now, but in 5-10 years? I mean literally day-by-day we see engineers make the jump to fully itb mixing. Studios closing, manufacturers struggling to survive. Plugins are dead cheap compared to hardware.
    Is this only a bad trend which takes a few years to fade away? Or is it really the future?
    It pretty much has, except in a handful of categories. New eqs are rare In comps, everyone is in emulation mode. Guys developing interesting innovations in hardware, like Dave Hill, are rare. The new 500 craze has energized the market for hardware, and it might be easier to sell an odd piece if it fits in the rack and doesn't cost too much. But that will pass as everyone fills a couple of racks.

Front end (Mic pres, converters, channel strips...) back end (converters, attenuators/routers...) will remain strong. Mastering specific hardware will likely always have a home, but the hard core analog high quality mastering room will go the way of the hard core high quality analog big room recording studio.

Hopefully there will always be guys like Dave Hill, Dan Kenedy, Tracy Korby, and the others we all know to keep us awake and aware, but it never was a very big market. The late 1980s/early 1990s was probably the window. It has to have been an up-hill battle since, as their client base has withered away.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Icon3

Of course not now, but in 5-10 years?
    All the hardware in my studio "went away" almost ten years ago. The only place plug-ins still come up short is reverb, and that will change soon enough as 4-core (and more) CPUs become the norm.

--Ethan

runamuck is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    All the hardware in my studio "went away" almost ten years ago. The only place plug-ins still come up short is reverb, and that will change soon enough as 4-core (and more) CPUs become the norm.

--Ethan

Try the new Lexicon Native reverbs.
    Jim McCarthy

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle” -- Philo of Alexandria

No plugs used here (except L2 on occasion), doubtful there will be any anytime soon.

Every plug-in I've tried left me feeling 'meh'.

The best analog still sounds better to me.
    Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho in 2012.

Sound is only one thing. (actually the most important one, but...)
    As I feel/hear it, good, high quality analog is still better. But in the financial state globally, are outboard manufacturers will able to survive?

Or will plugins be so good, so outboard become obsolete?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Sound is only one thing. (actually the most important one, but...)
    As I feel/hear it, good, high quality analog is still better. But in the financial state globally, are outboard manufacturers will able to survive?

Or will plugins be so good, so outboard become obsolete?
    Current makers are many times competing against the past. Given a choice, would you rather have a clone of (whatever), a reissue, a plug in emulation, or the real thing?

Current companies are more times than not competing against their own ghosts.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

The outboard stuff slowly migrates out of here. Most of it hasn't been used in a "live fire" situation in several years now. The multifx processors etc have all been repackaged as location monitor delays for HD video audio....

Philip Perkins
    Last edited by Philip Perkins; 03-14-2010 at 04:15 AM.

All gone as of 1 year ago. I think there are choices in the digital world now that rival the best analog in terms of transparent sound. I've always tended toward a flavorless signal chain recording flavorful sources.

For me the last holdout of unacceptable sound in the digital world was compressors. Several plugin makers now have good to outstanding compressors IMO.

Much cooler in the studio these days too.

Steve
    Steve Devino
    Granite Rocks Recording Studios
    www.graniterocks.com

I think many things can be done itb these days, but I'm still a big fan of tube compression, and what it can do. I also like the sound of the top end of a good analog eq over that of a plug.

Of course not now, but in 5-10 years?
    I don't think it will go away because it is needed on the front end and sometimes preferred on the back end.
    Last edited by waltz mastering; 03-14-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast