Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinema Engineering EQs - Question for Mr. John Hall

Default Cinema Engineering EQs - Question for Mr. John Hall

I have recently acquired and brought back to life the classic Cinema Engineering 7080 EQ. While the development of this EQ is attributed to Art Davis, I believe it was Mr. Hall who was instrumental in the design of this equalizer. It sounds absolutely heavenly, and dare I say, more musical than any other hi-end EQ I have ever heard. I would be most curious to find out more about this particular EQ, its history, etc. I am sure it would be appreciated by others as well. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, could the Mod, please move it. Photos (from before the restoration, or the "sum of all parts") can be seen here: http://www.auditoryarts.com/gpx/cinema/

With warm regards,

Mik
    Last edited by Mik; 03-13-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Minor edit

This is probably a great place. I'm not sure how frequently John checks in here, if at all. I've lost track of him at the moment. Wes Dooley was the last one I know who talked to him and that was about a year ago. I'm not sure Wes knows where he is now.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    This is probably a great place. I'm not sure how frequently John checks in here, if at all. I've lost track of him at the moment. Wes Dooley was the last one I know who talked to him and that was about a year ago. I'm not sure Wes knows where he is now.
    Hi Lynn, Thanks for bouncing back. I believe the 7080 is in fact Mr. Hall's design. I hope he stumbles upon this thread and gives us all heads on his role in developing this EQ.

All the best,

Mik
    "Music is the space between the notes” – Claude Debussy

When I see him again (it's been awhile), I'll try to remember to ask him and direct him this way.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I have recently acquired and brought back to life the classic Cinema Engineering 7080 EQ. While the development of this EQ is attributed to Art Davis, I believe it was Mr. Hall who was instrumental in the design of this equalizer. It sounds absolutely heavenly, and dare I say, more musical than any other hi-end EQ I have ever heard. I would be most curious to find out more about this particular EQ, its history, etc. I am sure it would be appreciated by others as well. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, could the Mod, please move it. Photos (from before the restoration, or the "sum of all parts") can be seen here: http://www.auditoryarts.com/gpx/cinema/

With warm regards,

Mik
    What year was this made? Was it made for film mixing? What are the EQ band centers?

Philip Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    What year was this made? Was it made for film mixing? What are the EQ band centers?
    From that link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	2630  
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post

Philip Perkins
    I believe the 7080 was designed for motion picture post. I guess (again only a guess) it was made in the late 1950's or early 1960s. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong!

M.
    "Music is the space between the notes” – Claude Debussy

Looks like those band center points are tailor-made for classic Voice of the Theater systems... ya think? 500Hz crossover to the horn, and the "usual" HF diaphragms pooping out about 8K... IIRC from my VotT days in the '70s.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

I think it slides back in time about 5 years; early to mid '50's. The later versions had no amps, like the Altec versions. There's an overview of the circuit in one of the Audio Cyclopedia; maybe only the first edition ('57-'58). I remember it being a bunch of paralleled tube stages with filter components in the cathodes. I've never seen the complete circuit; have you drawn it out, or found it?
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

It's in the 1969 second edition too. The 6 band graphics were used for motion picture mixing where you used an 8 kc Academy low pass filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast