Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My weekend in the nursery (remote recording)

Groveport! That's about 80 miles from here! At least you had nice weather. It's cold and rainy this week.
    Michael Rogers
    (3D VIP Member)
    DeskTop Productions

I had a great time there. Loved the people. Wish I'd had more time to browse around. There were several things I would have liked to see, not the least of which was the Lego store in Easton.

Just had no spare time.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    When I saw the picture of the church (having mixed many events in churches) I knew that would be a problem. While that type of room design might be aesthetically pleasing, it always sounds bad at any type of moderate volume.
    I visited a church this past weekend that had a nice, new sanctuary that was probably the worst sounding sanctuary I'd ever stepped foot in (600 seat). Looked very similar to the pix Lynn posted. It gets on my last nerve when churches spend that kind of money without any regard for acoustics--not even the slightest. In what other venue would a total lack in fundamental principles be totally ignored? (Oh, no, that could go way off topic ).
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    I visited a church this past weekend that had a nice, new sanctuary that was probably the worst sounding sanctuary I'd ever stepped foot in (600 seat). Looked very similar to the pix Lynn posted. It gets on my last nerve when churches spend that kind of money without any regard for acoustics--not even the slightest. In what other venue would a total lack in fundamental principles be totally ignored? (Oh, no, that could go way off topic ).
    I recently did some consulting with a church over this issue. They wanted me to design their sound system for the building they were going to build. I told them to first hire an architect / designer that specializes in acoustic spaces.

The dialog over the issue was a little frustrating. But eventually I convinced them to spend a little now for something great rather than a lot later for something that's always problematic and irritating.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

At least it wasn't a gymnasium.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    In what other venue would a total lack in fundamental principles be totally ignored? (Oh, no, that could go way off topic ).
    OHOHOH!! I know this one!! A middle school cafeteria, gymnasium, auditorium combination.

Or did you mean in a place where they should at least TRY to get it right?

OK back on topic (sort of)...Lynn, at least you had some separation. I was in the front row of a theater during school band/orchestra performances that I was recording. All the good hiding spots were a no go...fire code, handicap access, etc.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    At least it wasn't a gymnasium.
    I mix in gymnasiums as well. Some of these poorly designed church buildings present no fewer problems for live events. Different problems, but still crappy acoustics.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Having just been through a plan, design, rehab, install and (now) running a 1,000+ seat room in a former warehouse, I'll just say that: budget always wins. We were fortunate to get the best basic loudspeaker rig we could possibly afford (d&b Audioteknik T-10 arrays, flown cardioid and floor B2 subs, d&b amplifiers all around) with just enough acoustic treatment (about half of the design spec, but better than none in a warehouse) to "work". The leadership (pastors, planners, project engineer, and money people) understood to get the audio on top of the chain, then video, then lighting. Six months in, we're looking forward to "Phase Two" and serious upgrades to treatment and lighting (additional video was donated after the first week's service, before the grand open).

We couldn't have done better on the building (we have about $6.5M in the property and $3.5M in our buildout in 180K ft2 with three long-term tenants supporting the mortgages, and a current valuation north of $14M)... on day one, the experience was better for our people than the previous four years in a movie theater at its best.

So... it's easy to arm-chair QB the plan and build stages... but without a huge wad of ready cash, it will ALWAYS be a work-in-progress.

It does sound, though, like the boys on the board in Groveport could use a few lessons in bass management, and "flat" frequency response in a live setting...

Or, maybe the dude-in-charge just really likes getting his chest thumped.

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Well, you can see the rest of the sound system (meager Bose columns x3) hanging over the stage. I asked about using the system without the subs turned on. "You don't want to do that. It's not pretty." was the answer.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

The dynamic of a recording changes when you have five video cameras too. Two fixed, one jib and two mobile on stage. People can get used to having a bunch of mics out in front but to a video camera in their face, not so much.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast