Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hard drives slowing my PTLE 8 system

Icon5 New hard drives slowing my PTLE 8 system

Recently, I added two additional hard drives to my 8-core Mac Pro, to bring the total drives to four. These new drives are only used to copy files to for archiving and backup. Now that I've added the new drives, PTLE 8 pauses and acts sluggish very often when adding plug-ins, changing settings, and sometimes during initiating record or playback. It appears that PT is trying to access those new drives often (guessing from the sounds from within), in which case they may have been "sleeping." I'm not sure. I believe PT indexes each and every drive on a computer, right, stamping it's database index? Is there a way to "hide" these drives from PT, if this is what's causing my issue?

On a related note, I have not found any Mac settings for adjusting hard drive sleep times, etc.
    Last edited by QNote; 05-04-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    On a related note, I have not found any Mac settings for adjusting hard drive sleep times, etc.
    There is a setting "put drive to sleep when possible" under the Energy Saver preference, but no idea if this is the problem.

Of course if you unclick it, Al Gore wins, so factor that into your decision.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

You could always "unmount" the drives untill you need them for archiving. PT does not like to see sleeping drives. There is an easy way to prevent this, it escapes me now, AL Gore not withstanding.....
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

When you first installed these drives, did you erase and reformat them with Disk Utility before you started using them? They're formatted for Mac, right?
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

I would recommend either unmounting or setting them up as Transfer Only (T) drives in order to keep all your audio from getting scattered. I routinely keep only one active Record (R) and Play (P) drive now in order to prevent accidents with missing audio files. In ProTools Workspace, in case you don't know.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

And did you format them as Apple Partition or GUID?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    When you first installed these drives, did you erase and reformat them with Disk Utility before you started using them? They're formatted for Mac, right?
    Yes. They are formatted as Mac Journaled.

Quote Originally Posted by stereotype
    And did you format them as Apple Partition or GUID?
    I honestly don't recognize those two terms. Each drive is a single, Mac Journaled partition. The drives are Seagate Barracuda 1TB.

I may try to unmount them since I don't need them often--only for backup and/or archiving. The Mac already had the system drive, then I added an additional drive for audio back when it was new. Things ran smoothly in that configuration.

I'll also check that "sleep" setting mentioned. I assure you what is currently set is the default, 'cause I haven't changed anything in there other than display settings.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    I may try to unmount them since I don't need them often--only for backup and/or archiving. The Mac already had the system drive, then I added an additional drive for audio back when it was new. Things ran smoothly in that configuration.
    I'll also check that "sleep" setting mentioned. I assure you what is currently set is the default, 'cause I haven't changed anything in there other than display settings.
    Some drives have a sleep mode that you can't turn off or get at, although I don't think that exists on a raw drive. I believe it's a 'feature' built in to the external enclosure. I have a Seagate which does this & it's a real pain in the ass. Take a couple minutes to discuss a take with the players & the next time you hit "Record" you hear the drive spin up & see a beachball for a while.

Scott Fraser

I had a "sleeping" drive like that which would automatically spin down after so many minutes of inactivity but the mfg had a disk management utility that allowed me to turn that off. Worth checking into (the disk that came with the drive if any and/or the mfg website) to see ... if that's the cause of your problem.

UPDATE: Problem solved. I "unchecked" the box to put the hard drives to sleep whenever possible, AND I reassigned those drives as transfer drives in PT. Performance is much better. Thanks, all, for the help!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast