Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convenience: 1. Quality: -1

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    First of all, iPods are not the enemy. Marketing and the actions of consumers are. iPods (AFAIK) have supported 44.1kHz 16 bit audio from day one. Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't default to high quality settings, iPods aren't advertised to have high-quality capability (in our sense of the term), and audio isn't distributed in acceptable formats.

All the audio sitting on both of my iPods use the Apple Losless codec, which is undetectable in blind testing, to my ears, using good quality headphones. So, there's no excuse in having lo-fi audio on an iPod or other MP3 player.

But, above all, the last paragraph of the article, and then the final quote, are the most shocking and sad of the article.
    Curious as to how much blind testing you did? Did you test other levels of MP3 qualities?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    Curious as to how much blind testing you did? Did you test other levels of MP3 qualities?
    We've been down that road.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post
    I think people forget sometimes to that before the ipod there was the cd walkman, and before that, I used to go through cassette walkmans at an alarming rate. The portable personal music player has been around for 3 decades in one form or another.
    Yes. I pointed that out during the most recent rotation of this discussion about portable music quality (e.g., mp3 is destroying society as we know it, causing acid rain, global warming and the decline of moral society), having had a cheap portable cassette player or three myself from probably 30+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    Just some simple comparisons on MY iPod using different formats with a decent pair of under $100 phones (not the included earbuds). To me, Apple lossless was indistinguishable from 44.1/16 on the tested iPod with the tested phones. I'm NOT saying Apple Lossless is the same quality as CD, and I'm not saying I can't tell the difference in the studio on better equipment. I also I'm not saying that my results would be the same if I repeated the test today (over 2 years later than my original testing).

As for MP3 formats, I haven't test the higher bitrates over 256K. Under 256K is quite noticable, to me.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Just some simple comparisons on MY iPod using different formats with a decent pair of under $100 phones (not the included earbuds). To me, Apple lossless was indistinguishable from 44.1/16 on the tested iPod with the tested phones. I'm NOT saying Apple Lossless is the same quality as CD, and I'm not saying I can't tell the difference in the studio on better equipment. I also I'm not saying that my results would be the same if I repeated the test today (over 2 years later than my original testing).

As for MP3 formats, I haven't test the higher bitrates over 256K. Under 256K is quite noticable, to me.
    Just guessing, but the "lossless" part in Apple Lossless Coding may have something to do with the inaubility.

hth,

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    This reminded me of the spec I saw on a camera that was touting HD movie recording. "Record movies in HD."

Of course, "HD" simply means 16 x 9.

1280 x 720 pixels? I'm not sure I'd called that High Definition, even if it is the correct aspect ratio.
    Ummm... that would be what's known as "720P"...

It ain't 1920x1080... but it ain't horrible, either...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 05-11-2010 at 04:21 AM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

It's interesting to consider what's happened with audio in light of the fact that photography is the exact opposite. With cameras, higher Megapixel ratings are aggressively marketed as a feature.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Yes. I pointed that out during the most recent rotation of this discussion about portable music quality (e.g., mp3 is destroying society as we know it, causing acid rain, global warming and the decline of moral society), having had a cheap portable cassette player or three myself from probably 30+ years ago.
    I used to ride around on my Schwinn banana-seat bicycle with my battery-powered cassette player, you know the one with piano key-style buttons? Worked like a charm.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    It's interesting to consider what's happened with audio in light of the fact that photography is the exact opposite. With cameras, higher Megapixel ratings are aggressively marketed as a feature.
    Bacause you can tell from 100 feet away which one is the HDTV picture.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Bacause you can tell from 100 feet away which one is the HDTV picture.

DC
    And, with all the crap they place on the screen these days, like bugs, crawls, tickers, adverts, and 1/4-screen PIP windows with info you'll actually need... like the list of actual locations of circular rotation or shear during last week's hard rain that I couldn't read on the SD cable feed of the local NBC affiliate, which, on switching over to the 4.1 "straight in" line, became perfectly readable... well... I swapped the old SD box in yesterday for the new HD box. That finally made a difference worth $8 more a month.

Not sure if it's 720 or 1280... but it sure was better. (The set is a 1080 Sony Bravia...)
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast