Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iRig...

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    That said, this is hind of what I was getting at - seems most every thing that was once real is being replaced by cheesy replicas that start out as toys, then gradually work their way into mainstream acceptance in the name of convenience.
    Anybody remember those cheesy Casio keyboards from the 80s that were really nothing but toys? Until they started showing up on records....
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Anybody remember those cheesy Casio keyboards from the 80s that were really nothing but toys? Until they started showing up on records....
    Yes. Had one of them. Never used it for anything serious, though. I believe, though, that these are the same algorithms in their normal plug-ins. We've just gotten to the point where the iPod in your pocket is powerful enough to run them.

Another example from the past is the old Tom Scholz RockMan battery powered unit. I believe it was analog, and only had essentially one sound. People used those on records. Just looked, and it appears they still make them... http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....Amp?sku=180252

Products incorporating the iPod are going to be hard to top in their class, though. A company like Line 6 is not going to be able to mass produce a device that has anything approaching an iPod GUI. Too much R&D to come up with that. Inside, it's just a matter of juggling ones and zeroes. Combine the right algorithms with a decent i/o, and you're set.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Yes. Had one of them. Never used it for anything serious, though. I believe, though, that these are the same algorithms in their normal plug-ins. We've just gotten to the point where the iPod in your pocket is powerful enough to run them.
    Oh yeah, there were records in the 80's that used that little chiclet key Casio.

Another example from the past is the old Tom Scholz RockMan battery powered unit. I believe it was analog, and only had essentially one sound. People used those on records. Just looked, and it appears they still make them... http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....Amp?sku=180252
    Yes, all analog. Sounded pretty good, too. You had a couple settings, but mostly "More Than a Feeling." Except they were never used on Boston records, iirc.

Products incorporating the iPod are going to be hard to top in their class, though. A company like Line 6 is not going to be able to mass produce a device that has anything approaching an iPod GUI. Too much R&D to come up with that. Inside, it's just a matter of juggling ones and zeroes. Combine the right algorithms with a decent i/o, and you're set.
    I think there is plenty of horsepower to run the process. Plus, the multitouch thingy.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Oh yeah, there were records in the 80's that used that little chiclet key Casio.
    You better believe they were. I heard them everywhere.

And the Rockman box? It was on all kinds of records and jingles that I recorded. It was a one trick pony but it was one good trick. What more do you need?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    You better believe they were. I heard them everywhere.

And the Rockman box? It was on all kinds of records and jingles that I recorded. It was a one trick pony but it was one good trick. What more do you need?
    I had the rack-mount studio version. Got a fair amount of use out of it. It's been a long time since I thought about it. It had some sort of pseudo-reverb, didn't it? Must have been some sort of bucket brigade set up.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123