Thread: Resampling:....

Default Resampling:....

Would someone please decipher this in english? Reading it makes my head spin...LoL

Having recorded at 48kHz sample rate, resampling in 44.1 kHz has to be performed to create an audio CD. This process may deteriorate the signal due to intersample overs legal in 48 kHz but becoming illegal digital overs during transfer.

THERE IS ONLY ONE 100 % SAFE INSURANCE TO AVOID THIS: THE SOURCE LEVEL MUST HAVE ENOUGH HEADROOM TO ALLOW RESAMPLING IN 44.1 kHz WITHOUT DIGITAL CLIPPING.

1a) Mix down in the 48 kHz domain without use of any finalizing tools like bus dynamics. If working in 24 bit, perform mixdown with at least 6.0206 dB headroom. Continue applying step 3.
    1b) In case of 16 bit operation you may proceed without leaving headroom. After having finished, copy the entire master track pair to clip. Continue applying step 2b.
    2b) Create a 24 bit/48 kHz song. Copy the master tracks from clipboard to a track pair, and normalize down to -6,5 dB using the stereo mode. You may also perform an edit recording to achieve at least 6.0206 dB headroom, but there's no need to. Using a 24 bit song for levelling down, you will do the best possible to preserve resolution and thus audio quality.
    3) Copy the 24 bit/48 kHz track pair with headroom generated in 1a respectively 2b to clipboard.
    4) Create a 24 bit/44.1 kHz song, and copy the clipboard to a track pair.
    The desired sample rate conversion will be performed ONLY THIS WAY WITHOUT ANY OCCURRENCE OF DIGITAL OVERS WHICH WOULD UNEVITABLY BE BEYOND REPAIR. Again, using a 24 bit song will preserve sound quality as best as possible.
    Note: The disc space consumed by the 24 bit/48 kHz song eventually created by step 2b is now no more necessary. You may delete this song now, and delete the clipboard by shutting down and restarting.
    5) Finalize the track pair in the song created by step 4. If you don't want to apply any final effect, you may simply normalize to full level in stereo mode.
    6) Copy the resulting track pair to clip.
    7) Create a 16 bit/44.1 kHz song, and copy clipboard to any track pair. Dithering may be applied, but is not very useful in most cases, especially when having recorded live and/or in 16 bit/48 kHz source domain.
    Note: You may delete the 24 bit/44.1 kHz song now and delete clipboard by shutting down and restart.
    8) Optimize the entire track pair created in step 7, and delete undo/redo buffer. This will minimize consumption of storage size as the tracks are stored now in 16 bit and no more in 32 bit as with 24 bit songs.
    9) Copy the optimized track pair to a master track pair for use as a CD album master.
    10) Create the desired CD track markers.
    11) Your resulting album CD will perform the best possible for your recorded signal in any purely technical respect.
    12) Listen, enjoy, have fun, and keep in mind that you have done even more for preserving sound quality than many recording studio and mastering professionals. Don't laugh, it's the bare truth.

Your music and performance are worth it.

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Where is that from? It reads like a foreign manufacturer's English version manual.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Where is that from? It reads like a foreign manufacturer's English version manual.
    written by a guy near Munich, Upper Bavaria, Germany

Googling one of the sentences, it looks like it comes from this...

http://www.studiotrax.net/forums/sho...d.php?p=402414
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

"Intersample Unders."

That's one I have never thought of before.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I'm not really sure I get how the upsampling and decimation of the signal that occurs during SRC can produce the overs he talks about. The math behind getting overs that clip converters even if they don't clip meters is pretty sound (as explained here http://www.cadenzarecording.com/pape...distortion.pdf ), but even then, I'm not sure how much of an audible effect there really is from this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post
    I'm not really sure I get how the upsampling and decimation of the signal that occurs during SRC can produce the overs he talks about. The math behind getting overs that clip converters even if they don't clip meters is pretty sound (as explained here http://www.cadenzarecording.com/pape...distortion.pdf ), but even then, I'm not sure how much of an audible effect there really is from this sort of thing.
    The only processes that create "greater than zero" values are D/A and sampling rate conversion. It's very well understood. However, you will never get the theoretical +6dB increase in music. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen more than a few tenths increase. The whole thing is pretty convoluted, actually.

Just mix with some headroom, leave the files at the same sampling rate and wordlength as the original session.

The advice to never compress the buss is a wrong as ever.

DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post
    I always leave at least 3db - no pun intended - of headroom on the master bus.

becoming illegal digital overs during transfer.
    Will I get arrested if I get an over? How much is the fine? Is this an international crime? Will you guys bail me out? This has got me so scared....
    OTR Mastering
    Professional Audio Production for Life
    www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering