Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Exile On Main Street.

  1. #1
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default Exile On Main Street.

    From the BBC article and interview with Mick:

    "Forty years ago, the Rolling Stones decamped to the South of France, living as tax exiles as they recorded their tenth album.
    The sessions became notorious for their bacchanalian excesses, taking place amidst a nine-month, non-stop cocktail party in a sprawling villa that had supposedly once been a headquarters for the Gestapo.
    The result was a sprawling double album, Exile On Main Street, which has gone down in history as one of the band's best.
    Next week, they are re-releasing the record with 10 new tracks - including several recently rediscovered songs. An accompanying documentary, Stones In Exile, will premiere in Cannes, before screening on BBC One on Sunday, 23 May."

    "But your view is valid because you have a huge catalogue, which is worth a lot of money, and you've been in the business a long time, so you have perspective.
    Well, it's all changed in the last couple of years. We've gone through a period where everyone downloaded everything for nothing and we've gone into a grey period it's much easier to pay for things - assuming you've got any money.

    Are you quite relaxed about it?
    I am quite relaxed about it. But, you know, it is a massive change and it does alter the fact that people don't make as much money out of records.
    But I have a take on that - people only made money out of records for a very, very small time. When The Rolling Stones started out, we didn't make any money out of records because record companies wouldn't pay you! They didn't pay anyone!
    Then, there was a small period from 1970 to 1997, where people did get paid, and they got paid very handsomely and everyone made money. But now that period has gone.
    So if you look at the history of recorded music from 1900 to now, there was a 25 year period where artists did very well, but the rest of the time they didn't."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8681410.stm
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  2. #2
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios's Avatar
    Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,065

    Default

    I know that this is not your point, but it has amazed me in recent years to see that referred to as one of the Stones best albums. I always considered it one of their worst, marred by wretched excess, obvious drug useage, and a "Who cares, they'll buy it because it is a Stones record" attitude. I was a huge Stones fan, I was eagerly awaiting their new release, and this one seemed lazy and lifeless to me at a time when bands were making historic recordings. Whos Next, Stairway to Heaven, Surfs Up by the Beachboys (with Van Dyke Parks), Blows Against the Empire, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Imagine, Eat a Peach, Close to the Edge, Foxtrot..... those few years were pretty amazing. Exile just never stacked up for me, never really reached me as amazing or creative music.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

    The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)


    Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

  3. #3
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    There is no doubt that their well documented shenanigans during the production of the record helped to push it to 'classic' status.
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samc View Post
    There is no doubt that their well documented shenanigans during the production of the record helped to push it to 'classic' status.
    Because of the shenanigans, or in spite of them, still a classic that sounds great today and one of my favorites.


    DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

  5. #5
    Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Because of the shenanigans, or in spite of them, still a classic that sounds great today and one of my favorites.


    DC
    I have to agree, Shake Your Hips, Sweet Virginia, Sweet Black Angel, Stop Breaking Down, Shine a Light, some of my all time favourite Stones tunes. It's been a long time since I bought a CD but I will probably pick this up just for the nostalgic value.

    Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

    Who added the "AT"?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Berkeley CA
    Posts
    1,874

    Default

    I thought Mick's comment about the record business was pretty perceptive.

    Philip Perkins

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shillito View Post
    I have to agree, Shake Your Hips, Sweet Virginia, Sweet Black Angel, Stop Breaking Down, Shine a Light, some of my all time favourite Stones tunes. It's been a long time since I bought a CD but I will probably pick this up just for the nostalgic value.
    You can hear the Beaujolais, heroin and sweat in that record. If they were tee-total, it would be in the "where are they now" file.


    DC
    Dave Collins Mastering
    www.collinsaudio.com
    +1 323 467 5570

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    14,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    You can hear the Beaujolais, heroin and sweat in that record. If they were tee-total, it would be in the "where are they now" file.


    DC
    Local Nashvillian Al Perkins played on Exile. He was hanging out with (fellow Burrito Brother) Gram Parsons at Villa Nellcôte during the sessions and played pedal steel on at least one song. Crazy stories...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

  9. #9
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Because of the shenanigans, or in spite of them, still a classic that sounds great today and one of my favorites.
    And one of mine.
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

  10. #10
    samc's Avatar
    samc is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    I thought Mick's comment about the record business was pretty perceptive.

    Philip Perkins
    He certainly is correct about the relatively short period when people (apart from the record companies) made money...

    This certainly put a new light on those good old days.
    Sam Clayton

    We are who we are because of what we know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Main Daw Scare
    By DonM in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
  2. Main monitor selection
    By cfuehrer in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 08:49 AM
  3. If the main pair isn't right you will regret it!
    By Rich Mays in forum Classical and Location Recording
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 07:28 AM
  4. FS: Adam S5-A monitors (pair) midfield/main
    By buddy miller in forum 3D Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 01:25 AM
  5. Favorite orchestral main arrays
    By Rich Mays in forum Classical and Location Recording
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-23-2004, 06:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •