Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a problem getting your studio sessions back from the studio?

Default Should there be a problem getting your studio sessions back from the studio?

Friends I know came back to Pittsburgh from Nashville with a harddrive that has their sessions on it.

They recorded vocals here in Pittsburgh. It's been mastered and they are getting radio play and everything is OK. Then they thought, "let's go get our sessions from the studio and put them on our hardrive."

Now the guy down there wants to charge them to convert them to WAV files and I'm thinking, "That's not necessary," just throw the session folders on the harddrive. They are paid for. Now they just want possession of their music.

They should be able to get them like that with no problem, right?
    Before anyone asks, they are NUENDO sessions. So if they ever want to remix or remaster, which is very unlikely, they might have to find someone who has Nuendo or pay the next guy to convert them. But, aren't they wav files even in a Nuendo Audio folder.

Is this guy just trying to make more money off these guys?

Zucco

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Quote Originally Posted by Zucco View Post

Zucco
    Is this the person who did the mixing? This may be an attempt to keep his mixes, for fear of someone opening the files, changing one little thing, and claiming it's their mix. (don't laugh, I've heard this before)

However, if the recordings are paid for, which I assume they are, there is no reason for them not to get their files back, Nuendo or not. (at least that's the way I work....)

I'm surprised they're not being charged for "storage"!!
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Zucco View Post
    Friends I know came back to Pittsburgh from Nashville with a harddrive that has their sessions on it.
    They recorded vocals here in Pittsburgh. It's been mastered and they are getting radio play and everything is OK. Then they thought, "let's go get our sessions from the studio and put them on our hardrive."
    Now the guy down there wants to charge them to convert them to WAV files and I'm thinking, "That's not necessary," just throw the session folders on the harddrive. They are paid for. Now they just want possession of their music.
    They should be able to get them like that with no problem, right?
    Absolutely.

Before anyone asks, they are NUENDO sessions. So if they ever want to remix or remaster, which is very unlikely, they might have to find someone who has Nuendo or pay the next guy to convert them. But, aren't they wav files even in a Nuendo Audio folder.
    Zucco
    (A) They should not have left their session in anybody else's possession. As soon as the bill is paid they're entitled to walk out with their tracks.
    (B) The guy is out of line asking for another fee, since all he has to do is mount the drive, drop it onto the target drive & go get coffee. The clones will be done in a matter of minutes. Common decency dictates he shouldn't be trying to squeeze another dollar out of them for a task he can complete while checking his email.
    (C) The guy should be only too happy to have the client get their data off of his drive & out of his studio. Tracks in the client's possession are the client's sole responsibility, which is what the studio should want.

Scott Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    Absolutely.

(A) They should not have left their session in anybody else's possession. As soon as the bill is paid they're entitled to walk out with their tracks.
    (B) The guy is out of line asking for another fee, since all he has to do is mount the drive, drop it onto the target drive & go get coffee. The clones will be done in a matter of minutes. Common decency dictates he shouldn't be trying to squeeze another dollar out of them for a task he can complete while checking his email.
    (C) The guy should be only too happy to have the client get their data off of his drive & out of his studio. Tracks in the client's possession are the client's sole responsibility, which is what the studio should want.

Scott Fraser
    agreed.

The fellow should do this gratis, but if he insists on charging for Xfer, it should've been stated in the fine print of his 'studio policy' - something that every place SHOULD have, but many small ones NEVER do...

good luck with it!
    N. Jay Burr
    PlugHead Productions

http://www.plugheadproductions.com

If the transfers are drive to drive, then it's easy. If they need them transferred to DVD or other optical format, it's a pain and can be very time consuming. But to transfer to a drive I would do for free. But I don't have his files now, do I? So it doesn't matter.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

so why exactly do they need their sessions if they took their drive back with them?

Could be they transferred the project onto a house drive for the mix. I know some prefer to do that.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Default Drive question...

Quote Originally Posted by kingtone View Post
    so why exactly do they need their sessions if they took their drive back with them?
    ...that was the drive that they brought from Nashville to Pittsburgh with the music only and a scratch vocal. They don't really need them they just want what's theirs.
    Last edited by Zucco; 06-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Mark,

If you have them as Nuendo files, talk to Dana at the Church Studio in Overbrook. (You can find it on line, I think at churchstudios dot com) He is a good buddy, tell him you know me, and you may not get the work done for free but you'll get it done now, and take it away with you, no waiting.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Good advice above.

This guy must be a real jerk. It takes all of 5 minutes to load a project into Nuendo, delete all automation, reset all of the mixer channels and also clearing out all FX and saving it as "Client Archive" on another drive... giving you the Nuendo project with all edits, and also protecting his mix.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 06-08-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast