Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NON-intelligent design

Default NON-intelligent design

OK, let's blow off some steam. Ever run across a product that makes you want to cuss? I mean something with features only an ape could design? I mean something that makes you want to dope-slap the company for making it?

I do. Fortunately it's not often but when it does happen, it's really frustrating.

Take, for example, this little pocket camera by Vivitar that I got free in exchange for AmEx Membership Rewards points. (Just because something didn't cost you anything doesn't give it an excuse to be stupid.) [I got this only because 1) it cost me nothing and 2) I have wanted a camera that is small enough to keep in the car or my pocket all the time.]

From the first time I plugged it in, I was scratching my head.

-Plug it in to charge the battery and it displays a cryptic message. "MSDC" OK.

-I try to take a picture. It makes the shutter sound but doesn't record anything. Pushing the playback button results in a message on the screen. "No File Exist" Exist? Come on. Obviously no one in the design department speaks English or checks with anyone who does.

-I pull out the documentation that came with the camera [Easy Guide] and it is one sheet of paper, 10 x 11", printed on both sides. It refers anything beyond "push the shutter button to take a picture" to the camera manual, which is not included but available online.

-I look online to find out why it won't store pictures or save prefs and the information in the manual, even the troubleshooting section, is so brief as to be almost meaningless.

-My son tries to figure it out and sets it all up with the annoying Power Up and other sounds turned off. But as soon as he turns off the camera, the prefs are gone and the camera comes back up with the loud annoying sounds back on.

-Finally I call Vivitar to find out how to get a camera that works correctly.

Turns out the memory card that came with the camera is likely defective. But what about the resetting prefs? I did find a section in the manual that says "Prefs will be saved in the camera until they are reset." So why do the annoying sounds come back on every time you turn on the camera?

"Because you are resetting the camera." What? I asked.

"When you turn off the camera, it resets." No way. For real?

"Yes. When you set up the prefs for taking pictures, it resets the settings every time you turn off the camera."

Turns out that 1) sounds, 2) photo resolution and several other parameters reset EVERY TIME YOU TURN THE CAMERA OFF.

I was astounded. I told him in no uncertain terms that had to be the stupidest thing I'd heard of since the introduction of the battery and volatile RAM. "Who would design something like that?"

The practical implication is that you can't use this camera anywhere that you wouldn't want the very loud startup sound to disturb the proceedings, which, to my way of thinking, is just about everywhere except maybe loud outdoor sporting events.

So what BOGUS design features drive you crazy?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

More steam to blow off.

Turns out I can take one picture that is stored to the internal memory.

BUT if you take one picture and then look at it and try to discard it, the camera says "Image Protected" and the camera locks up. The only option is to turn it off and back on again.

Did I say "designed by apes?" Make that designed by dumb apes.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I could start a list; would be as big as the Manhattan yellow pages.
    Just like:
    The battery in my Chrysler Startus convertible is inside the feft fender.
    Any toaster I have come across (they all end up in a big pile in my backyard).
    My Toshiba DVD/HD recorder that has different menus for deleting and editing, and switches Off after each recording.
    My cell phone that needs adressing about a hundred menus to turn of T9...

My wish is these guys who do such a bad design job should spend their purgatory using their gear all day long.

On the flip side, "it's 10 megapixels!!" Impressed?

File this under "Curses! Foiled again."

I thought I might be able to cover the hole where the sound comes out and make it less loud upon startup. Turns out there's not even a hole for the sound. It's just loud enough internally that the sound emanates from the entire camera. Oh well.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

What do you expect for free?

I just can't stand using any device that has buttons so small the user needs a special tool or at least a pencil to actuate the controls...like most cellphones, so it seems...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Pushing the playback button results in a message on the screen. "No File Exist" Exist? Come on. Obviously no one in the design department speaks English or checks with anyone who does.
    Ah, Japlish or similar. I once had an NEC cassette player/radio/hi fi amp, a useful bit of kit which later retired to become a headphone amp for remote recordings: the legend on the cassette door said 'Full Logic Control' (whatever that means), but on the line illustration in the manual it said 'Full Rogic Control' - priceless. To this day if you look in the (German) SPL Kultube compressor's manual you will find that the Tube Harmonics control allows you to 'drive the tube output stage infinitely variable to desperation' a description which I personally think sums it up nicely.
    Nigel Palmer
    Lowland Masters
    www.lowlandmasters.com

Not exactly common knowledge, but Sony made several Trinitron model TV's back in the late-'80's and early '90's that--no joke-- had a SNAP-IN main fuse that could only be accessed/replaced after a 2-hour disassembly of the set, including removing all of the internal shielding, several SOLDERED IN boards, and some hardware. Really? What was the purpose for it being a SNAP-IN?

In the recording world, I think the "layout" of some digital consoles/mixers couldn't be much worse. I also never got use to the menu structure of the Kurzweil synths.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    What do you expect for free?
    Well, it did take 17,000 points, which is all the points I've saved up from 1996 to now. Considering that I could have used those for something else, I don't consider it exactly free.

Regardless, I don't think that inexpensive should equal stupid. This is a camera that sells for $75 in stores.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Did I say "designed by apes?" Make that designed by dumb apes.
    More likely a committee of dumb apes.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    a SNAP-IN main fuse that could only be accessed/replaced after a 2-hour disassembly
    Yes, and soldered-in fuses are just as stupid and inexcusable. I have a nifty Zoom digital FX box I bought in 1992. A few months after the warranty expired (of course) the display died. This box cost $600 so I was not willing to toss it without a fight. Inside I found a soldered-in fuse which had blown. I managed to solder in two tiny fuse end clips, and then inserted a normal non-solder fuse. It's been working fine ever since. What would normal people do?

Speaking of what would normal people do, I say that all the time with software and computer problems. I'm the go-to guy for many of my friends when their computers misbehave. The stupidity of the problems they encounter is staggering. Why does one have to be an experienced techie type just to use a computer? Computers should work as reliably as any other appliance.

--Ethan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast