Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waves or UAD

Default Waves or UAD

Looking for some input on what would be the best use of my money right now. I am looking at the UAD-2 card or a waves gold bundle. I know I would get more plugs now with the waves, but is the sound of the UAD stuff comparable or enough better to merit buying it with the ability to add to it in the future? Thanks in advance for your input.
    Jeremy Fox
    Adam's Voice

No WUP w/ UAD.....

phil p

I have both and use the UAD stuff way more. The Gold package has a lot of stuff granted, but look and see how often you would use the different things offered. With UAD you buy what you need. A lot of the things in the gold bundle come in modern DAWs. I'm not saying don't buy Waves, I think I would look at their newer offerings.

Which DAW are you using? UAD has always been a little tricky to get working properly. Waves on the other hand has been very easy to integrate and rock solid for me. Soundwise however, I really prefer the UAD stuff in general...at least compared to the standard Waves stuff (Platinum). The newer Waves stuff (API, etc) might very well be "better." The Waves IR-L (in most bundles) gets tons of use here, more than any UAD reverb (although they are just fine IMHO). So yeah, get both

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County

UAD. Hands down.

These will be incorporated into a Sonar 8.5 DAW system.
    Jeremy Fox
    Adam's Voice

UAD - Waves customer support sucks
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    UAD - Waves customer support sucks
    +1. UAD customer support is stellar! I just wish they'd start doing API emulations. Has anyone here tried out that new Studer 800 plug?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    No WUP w/ UAD.....

phil p
    But then you have the hardware....
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Both sound great, UAD has the market popularity via the tie ins of their plug-in names with famous hardware from the past. Go into any top flight computer-based room and you are likely to find either if not both.

I have a problem with UAD in that their product works until someone changes something, then it doesn't, and it takes them forever to get it sorted out. this seems to happen frequently. The other issue with hardware.. what format do you buy and how long will it last? See all the UAD-1 cards for sale? And the owners are trying to sell them without the software.... like buying a gallon milk jug and having to go looking for the cow.

For me, the practicality of a software only solution has always been attractive. I use Waves but have avoided the WUP by keeping my very very old pre-WUP version. It has never -not- worked. But just this fall I finally updated when Waves offered a great deal, and so far everything has been just fine. I may choose to skip buying the WUP regularly, but I'll cross that bridge..... and so far, no iLok problems. iLok is hardware too. But it is much simpler than a hardware DSP accelerator card, and it would be much easier to change to another inexpensive dongle format should USB go the way of ISA. But with USB-3 and lightpeak on the horizon, we should be okay for a long while.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast