Thread: A microphone maintance question

Hybrid View

Default A microphone maintance question

I am new to the recording biz, and I just bought a couple of microphones including one condenser mic. I was told that condenser microphones tend to give poor performance if you expose them in the air because the humidity in the air will harm the capsules. Is it true? Do I have to buy a dryer to put my mics in?

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Have a look at this thread. It has some tips regarding care and feeding. I wouldn't get too freaked out about it, just treat your mics nicely and with appropriate amount of care and common sense:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/415/0/
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Excellent tip, Gio. My first thought after reading the original post was "Ask Klaus."

I'm going to go back and make sure all my mics are in plastic bags and away from the foam in the cases.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I'm not comfortable with the plastic bag solution, because it holds in moisture. Maybe a Crown Royal bag?

Back when Tracy Korby was still local to me I cycled most of my important mics through his shop for a check, and to be brought back to factory spec. It was the first thing that I did when i bought a used mic, run ti out to Tracy. Starting from the appropriate "square one" made sense to me.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    I'm not comfortable with the plastic bag solution, because it holds in moisture
    Only if it is sealed. Read Klaus's treatise and it clearly says not to seal the bag. It also mentions that a Silica bag is pointless in an unsealed bag because it's only removing moisture from the ambient air.

Quoting Klaus from the URL above:

Just put the bag over the mic on the stand, if you cannot tear down the recording set up for positioning reasons. Then, after the session is finished, permanently store the mic in this bag inside its proper case. No need to seal the bag tight. You can let the mic breathe.

If humidity in the room was excessive, you would already have had moisture back- down on the capsule, so no need to worry if the bag fits too tightly. If anything, a bag over a warm tube mic will force redistribution of the higher humidity sitting on the capsule towards the drier amp region of the mic, so the bag will somewhat act as a capsule dehumidifier.

The main idea of the bag over the capsule is that of a physical barrier- to prevent the electrostatically attractive capsule from sucking in particles from as far as six feet away, and letting these contaminants act like salt crystals which catalyze fog formation: If there is any amount of a dirt layer, it becomes that much easier for moisture to form droplets and start a conductive path to short out the two plates of the condenser (diaphragm and backplate.)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Have a look at this thread. It has some tips regarding care and feeding. I wouldn't get too freaked out about it, just treat your mics nicely and with appropriate amount of care and common sense:

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/415/0/
    Thank you for your tip. I have read the thread, helps a lot.