Thread: Mono Question

Default Mono Question

...as in mononucleosis and other viruses and bacteria being spread in a studio setting.

My 11 year old niece GiGi came down with mono yesterday and after looking at WebMD discovered that symptoms occur 4-6 weeks after exposure. Well, 4-6 weeks ago GiGi was tracking a kids praise project in Franklin, TN with a few other kids her age. Mostly 4 on a mic with some solo vocals. I was about to text her Mom "Don't touch the mic" but thought I would run this by the "experts" first.

I have several mics plus windscreens and have never disinfected them but thought about it. My question is, what does the 3db community do to clean/disinfect mics and windscreens etc.? Are the retail disinfectant wipes safe for our expensive equipment?

A quick search reveals quite a selection of wipes using alcohol, thyme oil, chlorides etc. Most say they are safe for metal, vinyl and plastic but perhaps some here have found solutions to their liking already.

Thanks, Roger

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Well, from what I remember about mono ( I had it in 7th grade), you get it by transfer of saliva, so unless people are going to be eating the mic, or putting their lips right on it, I don't know that it would be caught that way. I could be wrong, I'm no M.D.

Windscreens can be washed with soap and water, or sprayed with some Lysol in a pinch. Mics? I've never had to disinfect one of my own, though our rehearsal room 58s got a shot of Lysol every now and then. Rehearsal band beer breath is the worst and the mics weren't damaged, but 58s and 57s would survive a nuclear blast. I wouldn't try that on any condenser mics though!!
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sozomuse View Post
    My 11 year old niece GiGi came down with mono yesterday and after looking at WebMD discovered that symptoms occur 4-6 weeks after exposure.
    OT response: A friend's son was diagnosed with mono & more than a year of treatment failed to help. Eventually it was determined to be an erroneous diagnosis & the real problem was Lyme disease, often overlooked in California because it mostly occurs in the East. Just saying, if it doesn't go away as expected, look further, don't always accept the initial diagnosis.

Scott Fraser

I prefer stereo-nucleosis. ;-)

I've had mono probably 3-4 times. It was called "the kissing disease" when I was a teenager and I earned it so I had no room to complain. No fun though.

FWIW, I don't ever do any clean up on my mics except wiping down the bodies. No lips get close enough without a pop filter to transplant any bodily fluids. At least, not that I'm aware of.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.