Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: The extinction of the audiophile

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default The extinction of the audiophile

    Well, not really extinct. Just in decline. Sales figures prove it beyond question.

    NPR again. (Would MSNBC ever do this story? I think not.)

    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134256...the-audiophile
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Default

    I used to sell that gear back in college. I almost NEVER brought home a paycheck. Every cent went towards the purchase price of the gear I had in layaway. In fact, the only reason I took the gig was to get the employee discount so that I could afford that stuff. I was an Onkyo fanatic! My purchasing didn't slow dow until I got married and had to start supporting a family. Those were some tough days when I would go back and forth between buying food or the new AT cartridge (LOL)!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Hee hee, I used to be like that with playing guitar. My parents told me if I wanted gear I needed to buy it myself. So I got a job and bought stuff and kept it at the rehearsal spot. When I finally brought it all home they couldn't believe the amount of gear and that I had $10,000 worth the guitar stuff! Also it was a challenge to me, strings or gas? A new pedal or food?

    Now that I think of it, my studio is kind of like that still. Guess things will never change.

    Peace

    Carl Fuehrer


    Pulsar Audio Lab
    http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Milford, CT, USA
    Posts
    1,185

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Well, not really extinct. Just in decline. Sales figures prove it beyond question.
    High-end consumer audio has several problems they'll likely never be able to overcome:

    * It's been taken over by crazies who sell / believe / buy the most ridiculous "tweaks" imaginable. $10,000 power cables, a $100 bag of colored rocks, $6,000 CD players, and worse. Sensible people see the lunacy for what it is and stay away.

    * These days excellent gear is a commodity item. My $150 Pioneer receiver is better than receivers costing $2,000 thirty years ago. And that's without factoring for inflation.

    * Ear buds.

    --Ethan

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    I used to sell that gear back in college. I almost NEVER brought home a paycheck. Every cent went towards the purchase price of the gear I had in layaway. In fact, the only reason I took the gig was to get the employee discount so that I could afford that stuff. I was an Onkyo fanatic! My purchasing didn't slow dow until I got married and had to start supporting a family. Those were some tough days when I would go back and forth between buying food or the new AT cartridge (LOL)!
    I see that hand. Been there, done that.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    9,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    High-end consumer audio has several problems they'll likely never be able to overcome:

    * It's been taken over by crazies who sell / believe / buy the most ridiculous "tweaks" imaginable. $10,000 power cables, a $100 bag of colored rocks, $6,000 CD players, and worse. Sensible people see the lunacy for what it is and stay away.

    * These days excellent gear is a commodity item. My $150 Pioneer receiver is better than receivers costing $2,000 thirty years ago. And that's without factoring for inflation.

    * Ear buds.
    Also, most people live with other people. There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house. There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Also, most people live with other people. There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house. There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    Thereby only irritating everyone on the road. Have you noticed that it's not Stravinsky's Firebird Suite that is blasting out of cars these days? Not too much Barbra Streisand at paint-peeling levels either. Wonder why?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    What?
    (cupping ear)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Posts
    27,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Urick View Post
    What?
    (cupping ear)
    I said "Get offa my lawn!!"
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

    Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Milford, CT, USA
    Posts
    1,185

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house.
    Bless my wife, she never minds no matter how loudly I play our system. She may leave the room sometimes! But she never complains, and often enjoys it loud too. Now, Noah the cat is another story. He leaves pretty quickly.

    --Ethan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A new fun topic - audiophile fuses
    By 3daudioinc in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 02:16 AM
  2. I've heard of audiophile craziness....
    By Soundscape Studios in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
  3. For the audiophile who has everything (almost)
    By 3daudioinc in forum The Old Yellow Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2001, 07:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •