Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The extinction of the audiophile

Default The extinction of the audiophile

Well, not really extinct. Just in decline. Sales figures prove it beyond question.

NPR again. (Would MSNBC ever do this story? I think not.)

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/05/134256...the-audiophile
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I used to sell that gear back in college. I almost NEVER brought home a paycheck. Every cent went towards the purchase price of the gear I had in layaway. In fact, the only reason I took the gig was to get the employee discount so that I could afford that stuff. I was an Onkyo fanatic! My purchasing didn't slow dow until I got married and had to start supporting a family. Those were some tough days when I would go back and forth between buying food or the new AT cartridge (LOL)!

Hee hee, I used to be like that with playing guitar. My parents told me if I wanted gear I needed to buy it myself. So I got a job and bought stuff and kept it at the rehearsal spot. When I finally brought it all home they couldn't believe the amount of gear and that I had $10,000 worth the guitar stuff! Also it was a challenge to me, strings or gas? A new pedal or food?

Now that I think of it, my studio is kind of like that still. Guess things will never change.

Peace

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
    http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Well, not really extinct. Just in decline. Sales figures prove it beyond question.
    High-end consumer audio has several problems they'll likely never be able to overcome:

* It's been taken over by crazies who sell / believe / buy the most ridiculous "tweaks" imaginable. $10,000 power cables, a $100 bag of colored rocks, $6,000 CD players, and worse. Sensible people see the lunacy for what it is and stay away.

* These days excellent gear is a commodity item. My $150 Pioneer receiver is better than receivers costing $2,000 thirty years ago. And that's without factoring for inflation.

* Ear buds.

--Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
    I used to sell that gear back in college. I almost NEVER brought home a paycheck. Every cent went towards the purchase price of the gear I had in layaway. In fact, the only reason I took the gig was to get the employee discount so that I could afford that stuff. I was an Onkyo fanatic! My purchasing didn't slow dow until I got married and had to start supporting a family. Those were some tough days when I would go back and forth between buying food or the new AT cartridge (LOL)!
    I see that hand. Been there, done that.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    High-end consumer audio has several problems they'll likely never be able to overcome:

* It's been taken over by crazies who sell / believe / buy the most ridiculous "tweaks" imaginable. $10,000 power cables, a $100 bag of colored rocks, $6,000 CD players, and worse. Sensible people see the lunacy for what it is and stay away.

* These days excellent gear is a commodity item. My $150 Pioneer receiver is better than receivers costing $2,000 thirty years ago. And that's without factoring for inflation.

* Ear buds.
    Also, most people live with other people. There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house. There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske View Post
    Also, most people live with other people. There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house. There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    Thereby only irritating everyone on the road. Have you noticed that it's not Stravinsky's Firebird Suite that is blasting out of cars these days? Not too much Barbra Streisand at paint-peeling levels either. Wonder why?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

There's probably more loud music played in cars with single occupants.
    What?
    (cupping ear)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Urick View Post
    What?
    (cupping ear)
    I said "Get offa my lawn!!"
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Icon3

There aren't that many opportunities to crank up a monster system for a full-blown concert experience, without irritating everyone else in the house.
    Bless my wife, she never minds no matter how loudly I play our system. She may leave the room sometimes! But she never complains, and often enjoys it loud too. Now, Noah the cat is another story. He leaves pretty quickly.

--Ethan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast