Thread: AT4047 questions

Default AT4047 questions

I recently picked up a used AT4047. It's about 10 years old, and other than that I don't know the history. Tested it out in a friend's studio the other day. We both recorded vocals and the mic sounded great. But it was pretty hot and we had to be at least a foot away to avoid clipping. We tried the 4047 through two preamps, a Summit and a Grace, and my friend matched the impedances. Just wondering if the 4047 is normally so sensitive? Appreciate any comments from folks who record with this mic. Thanks.

I wouldn't think that would be unusual with any condenser mic.
    Do you have other condensers that don't display this issue?

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Did you try engaging the -10dB pad switch? HPF switch? I use the AT 4047 for vocals (and other things) often. I've never had to have anyone back off 12" to keep it from clipping. There must be something malfunctioning in the circuitry.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

I have two of them, and their sensitivity is on par with the other LDC's in my closet. I've used them for vocals, instruments, piano, and drum OH without any clipping.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

We used the low cut but not the pad on the 4047. We didn't get any artifacts or other anomalies that sounded like the mic was malfunctioning. I'm wondering what else we can do to test for circuitry problems? (I have 30 days to return the unit.) Btw, we also record with a 4033 and a 4050 in the same studio, usually 3-6 inches away from either mic is fine.

I had a 4047 at one point and found it less sensitive (able to take more plosives etc) than my 4033's and other condensers, so your observation seems unusual. If you bought it from a store, which I assume you did from the "30 day return" comment, then I'd take it back soon and explain your observations and see if they could have it returned to AT for inspection if you truly believe there is something not right.

Are you sure your friend didn't have the pre's cranked way up? Did you a/b against other mics using the same preamp settings? You could always setup a small speaker firing some pink noise and record it with a few mics (including your 4047) from the exact same distance using the exact same pre and gain setting. That way you could check both the sensitivity and the freq response and you would easily be able to hear if something was amiss.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

We were short on time and didn't a/b the 4047 against anything else. But we did have an odd experience with the Summit. At one point, we noticed that louder notes/phrases would clip even with the input turned all the way down. So we turned the unit off briefly and when we turned it back on, it behaved normally again. Because we needed to be a foot away using the Grace, as well, we suspected the mic was the issue. I opened the housing to see if there were any obvious red flags (like sloppy soldering) that might indicate a mod or repair, but I didn't notice anything. I took some pictures but don't think I can upload them here. Is that right?

Well, if your pre is acting wonky, it's going to be hard to find out what your mic is doing...
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

We did some more testing and it looks like the Summit was the culprit. Thanks for everybody's feedback.