Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INSANITY: USA tax grab in Canada

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Icon8 INSANITY: USA tax grab in Canada

Politicians and bureaucrats must be real financially desperate to make this move:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...nfusion-reins/
    http://business.financialpost.com/20...wns-in-canada/

I am a US citizen by birth and family heritage. My parents moved us to Canada when I was a youngster and I eventually became a Canadian citizen in the late 90s.

I've never worked in the US and I don't even have a SSN. I've only ever worked in Canada. My wife is Canadian as are my children.

--> The US government is now demanding that I pay taxes on all my Canadian earned income while living in Canada.

There are roughly 1,000,000 American citizens who now call Canada their home as either permanent residents or as naturalized Canadian (dual) citizens.

What is not clear is if I'll be denied access to come home and visit now without suffering threat of legal recourse. (It is yet to be seen how aggressively they will follow through with their plans.) What is clear is that if I wanted to move back to the USA, that would have to pay a nice 5 or 6 figure tax bill for no other reason than I was born in the USA.

Something to add to this bizarre situation is how the US is declaring who is a US citizen. Because I'm American, even though my children were born in Canada, they may be considered US citizens by the US government and may be liable for USA tax bills when they begin to work here in Canada, the land of their birth. While I think it's not going to be an issue for my children, there are others in this similar position for whom the US government is going after them for taxes.

To make matters even more bizarre: the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, or FATCAt as we call it, would all but force Canadian banks to gather information on their US citizen customers - turning our banks essentially into another branch of the IRS on Canadian soil.

This is insane.

A number of Americans who have been living in Canada for many years (or decades) are having to seek lawyers renounce their US citizenship to avoid persecution on Canadian soil never as well as worrying about traveling to or through the USA.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Your only alternative is enter the US illegally, under cloak of darkness, and begin working here. Then you can enjoy tax-free income, free health care, and in-state tuition for your illegal children.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    Your only alternative is enter the US illegally, under cloak of darkness, and begin working here. Then you can enjoy tax-free income, free health care, and in-state tuition for your illegal children.
    Arizona, here I come!

Nathan

I'm supposed to be in Nashville in November, and maybe FL next month. I hope they don't increase the boarder checks. A few citizens have already been refused entry due to this tax issue. I've never heard of anything like this until reading the news today.

Nathan

You might try coming in with a "Obama in '12" bumpersticker plastered on the front grill. They probably won't even ask you any questions...
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    I'm supposed to be in Nashville in November, and maybe FL next month. I hope they don't increase the boarder checks.
    Better just play it safe and evict your boarder now.
    Lee Blaske
    Excelsior, MN
    http://www.reverbnation.com/leeblaske

Well........when over half the citizens here don't pay any taxes at all and still receive refund checks from those who do, you gotta find more sources of income somewhere.
    Doug Joyce
    Animix Productions

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Nathan, if you don't have a SSN, then what's the problem? That's how they track and tax income here as you know. DISCLAIMER - NOT A TAX LAWYER (but I need one)

As for taxing income made my citizens while living overseas, this is not really anything new. Even 28 yrs go when gigging on the German club circuits while still on active duty, I was supposed to report income from those...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Yeah, but he's a Canadian citizen. You would think that once you declare citizenship elsewhere (meaning, Hello I live here permanently now!) the US would have no claim to any taxes from that individual. I don't understand how they can do this.
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

If I remember, Nathan claims dual citizenship, and has done so frequently here. I see his point, though...completely.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast