Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mid-level AD/DA

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by sharp11 View Post
    Apogee 800 colors the sound? What? I don't even know what that means ....
    If you were to have one, which I did, (and Rowan did), you'd know what we mean. The unit imparts a certain 'sound' in an identifiable way. I got rid of mine pretty fast.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

As I've been told often by many designers, using the same chip means little in terms of audio performance. Its the implementation of the whole circuit where a lot of the audible / measurable differences appear.
    We did an informal A/B with an Apogee Duet last night and the Duet resulted in much cleaner (less noise) sounding tracks. Not scientific but my current experience anyhow...

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    As I've been told often by many designers, using the same chip means little in terms of audio performance. Its the implementation of the whole circuit where a lot of the audible / measurable differences appear.
    I once interviewed Michael Grace of Grace Design who was of that opinion, quoted in this review from October 2007:

http://www.lowlandmasters.com/Articl...controller.pdf
    Nigel Palmer
    Lowland Masters
    www.lowlandmasters.com

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Great thread! I certainly like the UAD Apollo, but it's probably more than what I need (I already have a Duo card). Besides, I'd rather have all the "money" in the converters.

The Lynx Aurora with the FW card looks like the best "fit". The Metric Halo LIO and ULN units are probably out of my budget, sadly. I still want some cash for a nice 500 series setup!
    Hi!

I have a 16ch Aurora in my edit room and have also done a number of recordings with it. It has a FW card in it and has been mostly fine, but I have had a few problems getting SADiE to talk to it (SADiE 6 native). It seems that the Lynx new USB card is far better than the FW card for connecting to the Aurora, so if you're considering this path, maybe check out the USB option. (Even Lynx themselves admit this).

But if you really want the FW option, I may have a card for sale

Cheers,

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    The 2882 Expanded is still a great unit with great sound right within your budget of $2k. I'd give it a good hard look.
    Are you suggesting the 2882 converters are possibly better than the Lynx? I will take a look at it again.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Are you suggesting the 2882 converters are possibly better than the Lynx? I will take a look at it again.
    Certainly you should take a look at the box - the sound of the converters and the flexibility of the interface.

Nathan

Choices, choices! It looks that I probably can't go wrong with several options presented here in the thread.

I like what I see and read about the Lynx Auroras, other than some complaining about FW issues (but that's probably Windows related and FW hardware used with PC's). I remember having some FW issues back with my first 002 interface and the card I was using in my IBM Thinkpad. The USB card may be a better option, but I've never heard good thinks about USB and more than 4 or 6 channels of audio. I'm not sure how they're pulling that trick off!

I also really like the Metric Halo 2882. My only concern there is that the 8 inputs seem to be basic preamps. I don't really need preamps and don't believe I want to run through preamps I don't need. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have seen little to no complaints about the unit. Also, according to MH's website, that unit is using their 1st generation conversion and circuitry, whereas the LIO and ULN units are up to 2nd and 3rd. Again, that's probably nit-picking, huh?

As for RME and Apogee, there seems to be large camps of lovers and haters, so I'm skeptical of those units.

I've contacted my salesperson regarding the Metric Halo 2882-Expanded unit and the Lynx Aurora-8 with a FW or USB card. I'll have to see!

I also think I want to get into the 500 series. So, an API Lunchbox and a couple of pres will also be in the works (I'll save that for another thread).
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I also really like the Metric Halo 2882. My only concern there is that the 8 inputs seem to be basic preamps. I don't really need preamps and don't believe I want to run through preamps I don't need. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have seen little to no complaints about the unit. Also, according to MH's website, that unit is using their 1st generation conversion and circuitry, whereas the LIO and ULN units are up to 2nd and 3rd. Again, that's probably nit-picking, huh?
    The preamps in the 2882 are not that great (only about 35 dB of usable gain). They are meant to be used in a pinch in a live on location setting where space is at a premium. But since you have external preamps, you can simply turn them off and use the unit just for its converters.

As for the converters, they only sell the 2882 "expanded" units now, which are the second generation of converters for them. The LIO and ULN units have the 3rd generation converters. For those converters, you've got to pay more money. But the converters in the 2882 expanded are certainly great on their own.

Nathan

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I like what I see and read about the Lynx Auroras, other than some complaining about FW issues (but that's probably Windows related and FW hardware used with PC's). I remember having some FW issues back with my first 002 interface and the card I was using in my IBM Thinkpad. The USB card may be a better option, but I've never heard good thinks about USB and more than 4 or 6 channels of audio. I'm not sure how they're pulling that trick off!
    Hi!

So that you can make a purchase with a well-informed opinion, here is an opinion from a user, running an Aurora with the USB card ...

http://www.grizzlystudios.com.au/new...-lt-usb-review

You are probably not a member of the Lynx bulletin board so you may not have Read access, but they will tell you the same thing; firewire became too difficult, the USB card is solid. And that's not the users speaking, that's the Lynx bosses speaking.

And as for my own USB experiences, I have done 24 channels at 96kHz on my SADiE LRX. It's a USB device. And it also mirrors to another USB drive at the same time.

But Lightspeed etc is just around the corner. Well, give or take a year It will leave all of this other stuff in its wake. And let's not mention Thunderbolt

Cheers,

Haigbabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Has anyone checked on the availability of the UAD Apollo? Just hopped online and saw that, at least Guitar Center, they have the Quad version ($2,500). Vintage King's web site doesn't state that they are waiting for them. To me, this would seem to be a great piece. The chance to use their plugins "to tape" as well as after the fact would be great. Plus having firewire and Thunderbolt for future-proofing...

I guess it just depends on when you need to acquire the equipment. Worth a call or an email to UAD. You can also go to their web site to catch a couple of videos to see what it's all about.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast