Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waves 9 - no more iLok

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Default Waves 9 - no more iLok

So Waves released version 9 of their plugs and got rid of the iLok as their copy protection. They are now using a 'cloud' based idea for being able to quickly and easily transfer licenses on to computers or use a USB flash drive. It's pretty clever and seems to be working well.

Having been burned by failed iLoks (and I dislike the 'zero-downtime' insurance system), and not liking the lag time with iLok instantiating plug-ins, I welcome seeing the iLok go bye-bye.

http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=4219
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Just got my new computer, but I'll load in 8 and wait a while.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

I have been railing against iLOK since day one. Pirates were never affected by Waves iLOK, not even for a moment. Only valid, paying Waves customers were affected, and none positively. Stupidest protection scheme in the history of software development. The fact that consumers accepted it, and even defended it, is somewhat distressing to me.

All that notwithstanding. The term "the cloud" seems to be getting broadened. Online authorization has been around for ages. It predates the term "Cloud Computing" by years if not decades. AFAIK online authorization is what Waves is doing. Whereas true "In the Cloud" would have meant that the plugins would not exist on your system, they would exist on the Waves server and your DAW client would plug into that as a service. That is definitely the future of computing, and plugins. But that's not what Waves is doing as far as I know.

Anyhow Kudos Waves for doing the right thing. Finally.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The term "the cloud" seems to be getting broadened. Online authorization has been around for ages. It predates the term "Cloud Computing" by years if not decades. AFAIK online authorization is what Waves is doing. Whereas true "In the Cloud" would have meant that the plugins would not exist on your system, they would exist on the Waves server and your DAW client would plug into that as a service. That is definitely the future of computing, and plugins. But that's not what Waves is doing as far as I know.
    Right. For years now if I leave my laptop open with Snapper or BIAS Peak running, & try to open either of them on my studio machine I get the reprimand that I have to buy another version. Much less inconvenient to close the laptop than remembering to move an iLok back & forth.

SF

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    All that notwithstanding. The term "the cloud" seems to be getting broadened. Online authorization has been around for ages. It predates the term "Cloud Computing" by years if not decades. AFAIK online authorization is what Waves is doing. Whereas true "In the Cloud" would have meant that the plugins would not exist on your system, they would exist on the Waves server and your DAW client would plug into that as a service. That is definitely the future of computing, and plugins. But that's not what Waves is doing as far as I know.

Anyhow Kudos Waves for doing the right thing. Finally.
    The problem with what you suggest is that NOT wanting data in remote locations under someone else's control is what launched the personal computer industry. My buddy who was writing software for Wang bubble memory machines and built the software for his fathers business in the 70s ( Hartford eventually bought his software company for $38 million) made his money by providing the ability for the small business to keep their data and software local. I want my stuff on the cloud less than I want an iLok, and I finally caved and got my first iLok last year. So clearly I wasn't in a hurry to jump aboard. I have cloud storage in several locations as backups, but I don't rely upon it, and won't rely upon it. Companies have been trying to promote on-line software for years. Thanks, I'll take mine on a disk, please.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

The problem with what you suggest is that NOT wanting data in remote locations under someone else's control is what launched the personal computer industry. My buddy who was writing software for Wang bubble memory machines and built the software for his fathers business in the 70s ( Hartford eventually bought his software company for $38 million) made his money by providing the ability for the small business to keep their data and software local. I want my stuff on the cloud less than I want an iLok, and I finally caved and got my first iLok last year. So clearly I wasn't in a hurry to jump aboard. I have cloud storage in several locations as backups, but I don't rely upon it, and won't rely upon it. Companies have been trying to promote on-line software for years. Thanks, I'll take mine on a disk, please.
    I agree. The people of the future however do not have the same concept of privacy as we do and they would rather be free of capacity/speed issues on hard drives and RAM, etc. Those people will embrace the cloud and it will become the norm for the majority. It is the future of software, no question about it. No longer will you have to upgrade your machine to accommodate software upgrades, pay for pirates, etc.

That said it's going to be a loooong time until client side software is off the market, like CDs. So don't worry.

To be clear - the licenses aren't on the cloud (permanently). Their cloud system is just a way to very quickly and easily transfer those licenses from one computer to another. The licenses can also be transferred to a USB stick and then from the stick to the computer. Lots of options with the new system as opposed to be so tightly stuck with the iLok system.

Nathan

So what happens when I take a MacBook to Ghana and want to use my Waves plugins out in the field where there's no electricity, much less towers? Cloud computing is fine so long as you have access to "the cloud."

Traveling in Ghana and Japan taught me a lot about what you do when you're COMPLETELY out of touch with the rest of the i-world. (We'd all gather like camels at a watering hole every time someone found an unlocked network in Japan. They're rare. Sometimes we'd go 7-8 hours between places where we had access.)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    So what happens when I take a MacBook to Ghana and want to use my Waves plugins out in the field where there's no electricity, much less towers? Cloud computing is fine so long as you have access to "the cloud."

Traveling in Ghana and Japan taught me a lot about what you do when you're COMPLETELY out of touch with the rest of the i-world. (We'd all gather like camels at a watering hole every time someone found an unlocked network in Japan. They're rare. Sometimes we'd go 7-8 hours between places where we had access.)
    If the licenses are downloaded on to the aforementioned laptop, then they will stay there until you remove them. You'd only use the cloud as the intermediary when transferring from your laptop to your studio computer. 20 seconds and that transfer is done.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    If the licenses are downloaded on to the aforementioned laptop, then they will stay there until you remove them. You'd only use the cloud as the intermediary when transferring from your laptop to your studio computer. 20 seconds and that transfer is done.

Someone else explained it differently, and I liked their explanation better. It would be a drag to have to get on line and do a transfer every time I switch from the laptop to the desktop.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

(Chris Hedges)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast