Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waves 9 - no more iLok

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The people of the future however do not have the same concept of privacy as we do and they would rather be free of capacity/speed issues on hard drives and RAM, etc..
    My hard drives & RAM are vastly more capacious & fast than any WiFi connection I've ever had. Is this this really something kids are banking on?

SF

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    Someone else explained it differently, and I liked their explanation better. It would be a drag to have to get on line and do a transfer every time I switch from the laptop to the desktop.
    I believe that with the WLC application that you can transfer from a computer to a USB stick and run the licenses from there (or use the USB stick to transfer to another computer) all without having to use an internet connection. I'll have to check that out to verify.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

My hard drives & RAM are vastly more capacious & fast than any WiFi connection I've ever had. Is this this really something kids are banking on?
    The future of software is in the cloud. For sure. For almost all software that works fine today but for A/V and 3D the delivery technology isn't there yet. Like everything else it will evolve, and A/V will be the last applications to become bug-free. But that day is coming. Not anytime soon. My point wasn't to advocate anything just to re-frame the cloud term. Waves used the term erroneously in an effort to seem chic and current, Nathan's explanation is spot on.

I'm no advocate of it. I do nothing in the cloud.

mfassett is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    I believe that with the WLC application that you can transfer from a computer to a USB stick and run the licenses from there (or use the USB stick to transfer to another computer) all without having to use an internet connection. I'll have to check that out to verify.
    Yes, that is correct. It needs to be formatted fat16 or fat32 (IIRC). I haven't tried this, but I upgraded my WUP the other day and indeed the option was there to license a usb stick (or any usb drive).

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    I realize I am slow sometimes, but isn't that what an iLok is?
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

The authorization file is tiny, like a text file. You can transport it to the host machine any way you like. USB is an example but it can be emailed, transferred across a network, burned to a CD, etc. It's just a tiny file the host application needs to "see". Move it onto your machine in the same way you would move a text file to it.

UAD did a license reset for me last week, it literally took two minutes to request and install. UAD has the best phone support and authorization system in the business IMO, and I've been told they are the only ones not currently pirated. I bet the first thing you will notice now that Waves has dropped iLOK is a sudden scarcity of pirated Waves software.

I realize I am slow sometimes, but isn't that what an iLok is?
    No. iLOK must be present at all times. You can transfer the authorization file any way you wish, i.e. USB but not necessarily via USB -- and you can then remove that medium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12