Thread: Choral Recording styles?

Default Choral Recording styles?

I've recently heard several choral recordings where the combination of room, mics, mastering and dunno what else results in an exaggerated sibilance, to the point where all the vocal "sss's" sound more like snare rattles than something live and natural.

What gives?

As some rooms are "designed" to do this more than others, folks are obviously after some aesthetic or effect. What is it? Whatever it is, capturing it well on a recording must be difficult, as it seems to generally come out poorly.

W

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Do you feel that some of this is possibly exaggerated by using cheap reverbs?

Or maybe Chinese mics?
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Something with which I struggle is the overall brightness of just about everything out there, and the customers are accustomed to hearing that no matter where they go. When their orchestral/choral product is finished, I can just about guarantee that they'll be thrilled - until they listen to a pop recording that's LOUD and BRIGHT. Then they want their CD to be that way, too.

The rock/pop style of loud and bright (or crisp, clean, open, airy, clear, etc.) and choral/classical don't really sit well together, you know?

Sigh...
    Last edited by John Whitmer; 05-12-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: stupid typo
    John Whitmer

"They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
    Do you feel that some of this is possibly exaggerated by using cheap reverbs?

Or maybe Chinese mics?
    Well, thats what it sounds like - cheap reverbs and Chinese mics. But given the sources, I wouldn't think that is the root of the problem - I think it's intentional. I wish I could find a better good(bad) example to post. This was kicked off by listening to samples (Amazon) of Preisner's Requiem for a Friend.. OK, MP3 accentuates it. But something on the radio last week- same thing only worse. Radio compression really brings it out.

I think some of it comes from very bright, "splattery" early reflections, so coupling that with John's comments could be an explanation.

So the follow-up question is how to avoid this. Not something I'd had to deal with yet. Intuition says: keep early reflections off-axis, no compression / limiting, move the mics instead of eq, etc.

If that's what the client wants however....

Wayne