Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm thinking about another comparison project.

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Studio monitors. But, I don't know of how you would go about it.
    Easy. Sm57's into Garage Band. Burn to MP3's. Voila!

What about customized USB sticks for content delivery? Not sure if the data storage would be big enough for whatever project you create but they can make some cool USBs these days. Put it all together with documentation and 3D audio promotion in an envelope and ship it out for the orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
    What about customized USB sticks for content delivery? Not sure if the data storage would be big enough for whatever project you create but they can make some cool USBs these days. Put it all together with documentation and 3D audio promotion in an envelope and ship it out for the orders.
    Yes. I bought an audio training product on an 8gb USB key card that way. It was all pretty well done, with the product logo / graphic on the key. Even after going through the product and not really needing it anymore the USB key was still useful, so there was additional value there in the purchase.

It was a credit card USB key, the kind that goes in your wallet. I still have it. In that regard it also continues to serve as advertising if the company / product graphic is on it.

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

The 500 format comparison might be interesting. I get to check out an awful lot of that stuff, but most folks are purchasing largely in the dark.

As for distribution, how about selling FLAC files?

Icon3

Impulse.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by grekim View Post
    One thing that is pretty far from perfect is reverb
    Yes! All EQs and compressors etc do pretty much the same thing. But reverbs really are all different. My favorite test for reverb quality is the attached claves hits. It easily shows reverbs that are clangy and metallic etc, or have insufficient density. Also, this file is mono, so you can assess the "wideness" a reverb adds.

--Ethan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post

You should be taking a lot of flak for that comment....

As far as marketing, not many people are more qualified than you, David - what do YOU think is a good marketing tool? Would you agree that pictures, endorsements, and cute girls still mean more to the "average" buyer than actual substance and hands on trial? Or is price the underlying motivator for all purchases?

One thing about FLAC that really chaffs me, but lets not go there.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post
    Agree. There's no loss in quality and you get good file size reduction. The only question would be incompatibility of a few playback devices I guess... if there are still any that don't support it.

FLAC is my format of choice for audio stems, things being uploaded / shared.

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    As far as marketing, not many people are more qualified than you, David - what do YOU think is a good marketing tool? Would you agree that pictures, endorsements, and cute girls still mean more to the "average" buyer than actual substance and hands on trial? Or is price the underlying motivator for all purchases?
    It depends a lot on what you are trying to market. In our industry, endorsements help with the credibility of newer brands, and the Dean girls sure did a lot for that brand back in the day, but one of the bigger issues now is where to spend your dollars. We still advertise in the magazines, but readership gets lower and lower every year. More and more, folks are looking for information on line, so search engine optimization has a much bigger payoff these days for us, and if we can get folks to the website, it's up to the content creators to keep them there. We also do a ton of YouTube videos, and we've always done direct calling and e-mailing.

In the case of Lynn's comparisons, the market is such a small niche that the "marketing" is basically threads on forums. There are some smaller guitar and pedal makers, for example, that have a presence on places like Harmony Central and TGP, and pretty much no other marketing, and for the output they are able to produce, that works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    How much difference is there between the slew of 500-series preamps on the market?
    fwiw I'd be more interested in hearing whether there's a difference between any of those 500-series preamps (or EQs, or compressors) and their non-500-series equivalents. iow, does the form-factor impact the unit's sonic performance?

I can only speak to one, because that's all I've A/B'd. Dan Kennedy's 2NV (Great River) sounds exactly like his 500NV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    fwiw I'd be more interested in hearing whether there's a difference between any of those 500-series preamps (or EQs, or compressors) and their non-500-series equivalents. iow, does the form-factor impact the unit's sonic performance?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12