Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Q" Withdrawal Symptoms!

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I think there are still reruns of Jerry Springer for those who really miss the level of civility witnessed in the Q here. Good riddance to the Q. I like all of you so much better when I don't have to know your political & religious views.

SF

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Therein lies several examples of 'the rub:'

- no one was ever legally or otherwise compelled to enter or participate in the Q in any way, shape, form, or fashion;
    - the impressions left by member posts there, be they agreeable to you (anyone) or not, did not disappear because the Q is no longer;
    - the way one interacts with other members can be be obviously influenced by how one interpreted materials presented in the Q

So - where does that leave us - holding grudges, thinking lesser of others because of something posted that didn't pass our political sensibilities? Do we just drop it and move on as nothing existed? Bygones be bygones?

Once the 'rules' get established, then the 'game' can be played.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I have to think that some people here have had quite a fall...I mean, just imagine, going straight from "Gold Club Member" straight back to "New Member" status as a result of all those deleted Q posts!

I will say that one thing that I did like about the Q was that I am impressed that people still have convictions that they are willing to stand up for. I honestly feel that in general, our society is becoming so "watered-down" that it is considered a stigma to have views that stand out. There were regular contributors to the Quag that really stood out to me for this, and regardless of the differences of opinion, I still hold the debates valuable in the sense that people were not just strictly conforming to the mainstream ideas, and are willing to consider any and all implications of today's big issues.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    I like all of you so much better when I don't have to know your political & religious views.
    ^^^This.

Please. Sleeping dogs.

Ken,

I think things heal better once you quit picking at the scabs.
    Also, anger seems to heal better than dismissiveness or disrespect.
    We all know where each other stands, and things will bubble up from time to time regardless of forum policy.
    But this place and the other especially, would just be a bigger and bigger free-for-all of divisiveness were things not reigned in.
    Kudos to Lynn and Terry both.

In light of recent events, I must say that I'm glad the Q is on vacation. (Please don'g make me regret bringing that up.)

I'm seeing people who normally steer clear of politics on FB getting into it. Better there than here.

Tommy Yonley is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I appreciate the fact that the Q is gone because it saves me a lot of time--of course, I spend a lot of that same time on FB now.

One thing about the Q that I took for granted previously was how civilized and tolerant the conversation in the Q generally was, even though intense topics were being discussed. I have seen similar conversations on FB (mind you these are with "friends") with a good deal less civility and a more intolerance.

That is true. There was a level of respect and a smattering of civility that is not required elsewhere. Nor is it exhibited elsewhere.

mfassett is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    That is true. There was a level of respect and a smattering of civility that is not required elsewhere. Nor is it exhibited elsewhere.
    That is the thing I liked best about political discussions here. Now, they weren't always completely civil, but it was the closest thing to civil I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I'm seeing people who normally steer clear of politics on FB getting into it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1345480196356_3420065.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	3514

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast