Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is interesting, and non debatable.

Default This is interesting, and non debatable.

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...l-debate/15542

As close as we'll get to politics here these days.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/artic...l-debate/15542

As close as we'll get to politics here these days.
    Though they may have both been using the same mics I think that Biden's LEFT many wanting to hear more but Ryan's sounded RIGHT.

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I recall a beyerdynamic rep telling me that when Obama speaks, he uses a pair of their condensers (often placed into SM57 housings for the more familiar look). The reason is that they prefer the sound of condensers on his voice, and the beyers were the best ones they could find for him that will run on 12 volt phantom. Apparently, among other Secret Service rules, there are regulations concerning how much phantom power can be near the POTUS, and 48 volts is over the line...

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post
    I recall a beyerdynamic rep telling me that when Obama speaks, he uses a pair of their condensers (often placed into SM57 housings for the more familiar look). The reason is that they prefer the sound of condensers on his voice, and the beyers were the best ones they could find for him that will run on 12 volt phantom. Apparently, among other Secret Service rules, there are regulations concerning how much phantom power can be near the POTUS, and 48 volts is over the line...
    This is a joke, right? You forgot the smiley face.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

David Klausner is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

I can't vouch for the information, but the rep was dead serious.

That 48 volts at 30 mIlliAmps is a real life-threatener, for sure.

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

That 48 volts at 30 mIlliAmps is a real life-threatener, for sure.
    Yeah, and besides, no leader would be seen dead with a DPA (at HV).

Q: How was the debate honey? A: Electrifying.
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by David Klausner View Post
    That is pretty funny, given all of the temporary high power runs all around the stage and podium.

I've done many many presidential events for quite a span of presidents stopping with either Clinton or early Bush, and even after I left the company that did that work I was often called in to assist, so I'm pretty familiar with the process. For "Presidential" events the Secret Service provides the sound support, using vendors stacks and racks. For "Political" events (not government business) the sound vendor supplies everything except the podium, which is also a protection device. There are times when they might accept another podium. When I first started, there was no deviation, it was a pair of Shure 57s with a third on the podium shelf, feeding Shure M67-style mixers and on to their media distro panels. I put Beyers on the podiums for the non-Presidential events, going back to at least Ford, maybe Carter, but i always used M-88s or 69s. I promoted them hard all the time, but the secret service never budged. Finally with Clinton some nice Sony mixers started to show up and they started to update some system parts, but there was no getting around the 57s even though I had shown them how much nicer the Beyers sounded. I never trust phantom powered mics for critical situations like that, I had one that was forced on me fail at a Soviet/US event with Phil Donahue and Vladimir Pozner. It happened to be a Beyer. Curious that this should now be their choice, as those types of Beyers aren't terribly popular.
    Last edited by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios; 10-18-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

I would want proof that they're hiding Beyer parts in 57 bodies before I'd believe that. It does make a good story though. And the phantom power issue? Give me a BREAK!! How many Secret Service agents would know what phantom power IS??

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    That is pretty funny, given all of the temporary high power runs all around the stage and podium.

I've done many many presidential events for quite a span of presidents stopping with either Clinton or early Bush, and even after I left the company that did that work I was often called in to assist, so I'm pretty familiar with the process. For "Presidential" events the Secret Service provides the sound support, using vendors stacks and racks. For "Political" events (not government business) the sound vendor supplies everything except the podium, which is also a protection device. There are times when they might accept another podium. When I first started, there was no deviation, it was a pair of Shure 57s with a third on the podium shelf, feeding Shure M67-style mixers and on to their media distro panels. I put Beyers on the podiums for the non-Presidential events, going back to at least Ford, maybe Carter, but i always used M-88s or 69s. I promoted them hard all the time, but the secret service never budged. Finally with Clinton some nice Sony mixers started to show up and they started to update some system parts, but there was no getting around the 57s even though I had shown them how much nicer the Beyers sounded. I never trust phantom powered mics for critical situations like that, I had one that was forced on me fail at a Soviet/US event with Phil Donahue and Vladimir Pozner. It happened to be a Beyer. Curious that this should now be their choice, as those types of Beyers aren't terribly popular.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

...How many Secret Service agents would know what phantom power IS??
    Could be the problem right there...
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast