Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much longer can the networks hold on?

Default How much longer can the networks hold on?

Fascinating story. Ratings (viewing) down 25% in *one* year for the major TV networks. With drops like that, they'll be shadowing the music business soon.

Can terrestrial "free" broadcasting survive in the world of mobile on-demand TV?

http://m.npr.org/story/162988708?url...v-season-doing
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

I agree. Much like the music business, the new delivery methods of content - which appear to be more appealing to consumers - will continue to grow and put the squeeze on traditional network delivery methods.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

As long as all 4 networks have 'reality' shows and you-can-be-a-star things, and as long as there is a 3rd party industry that talks about these shows, the networks will probably be getting along fine for a while. Whether anyone with any sense (or capacity to contribute anything to society) watches them is up for discussion though, regardless of when and how their programming is viewed.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    I agree. Much like the music business, the new delivery methods of content - which appear to be more appealing to consumers - will continue to grow and put the squeeze on traditional network delivery methods.
    The value that networks bring to the table is not the delivery method, but the content. As long as they continue to produce the dreck which people devote many of their waking hours to consuming, networks will continue to prosper.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    The value that networks bring to the table is not the delivery method, but the content. As long as they continue to produce the dreck which people devote many of their waking hours to consuming, networks will continue to prosper.

SF
    Yep. When I start having hope for humanity, I am jolted back to reality by the number of people that watch Jersey Girls or My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (I've heard of those) and then I realize that's why advertisers pay big bucks for those commercials on TV. That's where the eyeballs are.

Maybe if I watched more TV, I'd understand. My standard ration of TV is 3 hours a week, only in the fall, only when the Titans are playing. I'm definitely skewing the American TV consumption average of 4 hours PER DAY.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    Yes, though some shows are good. To me the main problem with TV is the number and length of the ads. I never see ads because we record everything in advance, then skip the ads in our DVR. Since networks need people to see ads, they're causing their own undoing as more people get DVRs.

--Ethan

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

They started the reality shows when the writers were going out on strike, now they've flooded TV with reality shows, most of which suck. But few shows seem to have skilled writers anymore. I don't watch any of the series that are not on 'regular' networks so I can't speak to those types of shows, but shows like Castle have very poor writing, senseless character motivation, convoluted plots that lead nowhere.... the last episode, the bad guy was only revealed in the last seconds and was a guy who had not even appeared on screen nor been discussed.. THAT is bad writing. Shows like West Wing or Moonlighting? Nothing near that good exists on network TV. Comedy shows like The New Girl and Two Broke Girls are just embarrassing. We're left with maudlin tear-jerkers like Parenthood as the best of a bad lot.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    Yes, though some shows are good. To me the main problem with TV is the number and length of the ads. I never see ads because we record everything in advance, then skip the ads in our DVR. Since networks need people to see ads, they're causing their own undoing as more people get DVRs.
    That's one of the points of this story linked above. If people don't watch the ads (due to DVRs) then advertisers will stop paying for ads. If they stop paying for ads, who is going to underwrite the cost of Free TV? It's not really free after all. We just get to watch it because the advertisers pay for it for us.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    That's one of the points of this story linked above. If people don't watch the ads (due to DVRs) then advertisers will stop paying for ads. If they stop paying for ads, who is going to underwrite the cost of Free TV? It's not really free after all. We just get to watch it because the advertisers pay for it for us.
    I pay about $130.00 per month for TV, what's free about that? I also own two PVRs one with an extra TB of storage, I watch mostly PBS and channels with no ads, however when I do view commercial TV I zap 99.5% of the ads and feel absolutely no guilt in doing so. If ads were better made and less mindlessly repetitious I would not mind viewing them, but I will not stand by and accept being spoken to like I'm an idiot. I have no problem with paying a fair price for entertainment delivery to my livingroom, I have a big problem with the load of garbage carried by "the networks" including their brain dead ads.

Best regards, Brian
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

I suspect that money goes to a cable company. Not to the networks. You're not writing checks to CBS, NBC or ABC. Over-the-air (OTA) television is still available for free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast