Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much longer can the networks hold on?

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I suspect that money goes to a cable company. Not to the networks. You're not writing checks to CBS, NBC or ABC. Over-the-air (OTA) television is still available for free.
    Partially true, the minimum cable package here is about $25.00/month, this only provides the "OTA" channels and covers the minimum cost of delivery. The additional $100.00 plus I pay every month is for premium TV "subscription rates". I pay the cable company, they pay the likes of HBO, ESPN, History, Showtime, etc. With the exception of a few sports events I NEVER tune in to the networks, I have never watched even 30 seconds of reality TV, I never watch weekly network shows. They could remove these channels completely and it would take weeks for me to notice so while as you note, I may not pay for them, I also rarely watch them either. I would far rather they charge me and drop the ads, than get the drivel they serve up today...

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

I suspect the day is coming when people will pay for cable for internet access and that may or may not include television, because honestly you can find just about any TV programming on the web these days.

My children hardly ever watch TV. They'll watch Disney Channel when they're not watching youtube. But that's not frequent. They get all their entertainment through youtube.

The days of coming home and watching Gilligan's Island after school are gone. ;-)
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

I suspect the day is coming when people will pay for cable for internet access and that may or may not include television, because honestly you can find just about any TV programming on the web these days.

My children hardly ever watch TV. They'll watch Disney Channel when they're not watching youtube. But that's not frequent. They get all their entertainment through youtube.

The days of coming home and watching Gilligan's Island after school are gone. ;-)
    Now if they put educational TV like Gilligan's Island on I might just watch network TV. Where else could you learn how to make phones out of coconuts?

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shillito View Post
    I pay about $130.00 per month for TV, what's free about that?
    Best regards, Brian

The funny thing is, someone recently published just where that money goes... and the vast majority of it goes to the sports networks. I don't watch sports that isn't on CBS or Fox. Personally, I'd rather buy cable a la carte but the suppliers have been resisting that other than for premium channels like Showtime. I'm considering dropping TV from the bundle altogether... if I still lived up north it would be easy because I get about 27 channels over the air. but down here I only get 6 channels, two are Spanish and one is religious.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Over-the-air (OTA) television is still available for free.
    I used to think that too.

Or do we subsidise/pay tax by simply shopping? TV is incredibly expensive and paid for by advertising. The advertising budget comes from the goods and services we pay for, eg Walmart, Shell, etc etc.

Sure, it's free-to-air, but somehow in some way, we're all paying for it aren't we?

Maybe once the cost/revenue equation no longer works for the advertisers, commercial FTATV may well fold like a pack of cards.

I've noticed that some adds on the 'net are not by-passable (at present). Maybe advertisers will prefer that?

HaigBabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
    I used to think that too.

Or do we subsidise/pay tax by simply shopping? TV is incredibly expensive and paid for by advertising. The advertising budget comes from the goods and services we pay for, eg Walmart, Shell, etc etc.

Sure, it's free-to-air, but somehow in some way, we're all paying for it aren't we?

Maybe once the cost/revenue equation no longer works for the advertisers, commercial FTATV may well fold like a pack of cards.

I've noticed that some adds on the 'net are not by-passable (at present). Maybe advertisers will prefer that?

HaigBabe
    Of course that's the way it works...called capitalism. As the medium matures (I did not say progresses!) the way we pay for it changes, but we still pay for it, even when we don't necessarily use it. On-air, like everything else, has to be paid for by someone, somehow, be it thru ad dollars, tax, pay per views, whatever.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Shillito View Post
    The additional $100.00 plus I pay every month is for premium TV "subscription rates".
    Yes.

The original premise of pay/cable TV many years ago, when it was first starting, was that we'd pay for cable channels like CNN and The Science Channel etc, and there would be no ads. Harrumph. Someone is making a lot of money at our expense. Is it really mostly ball players and their management? Yikes. I never ever watch sports.

--Ethan

That's also what people were told about satellite radio (BTW, am I the only one who finds the music stations unlistenable, quality-wise?). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I never fell for the satellite radio ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
    Yes.

The original premise of pay/cable TV many years ago, when it was first starting, was that we'd pay for cable channels like CNN and The Science Channel etc, and there would be no ads. Harrumph. Someone is making a lot of money at our expense. Is it really mostly ball players and their management? Yikes. I never ever watch sports.

--Ethan
    Although there are some really great dramas on Cable / Sat TV, sports is probably the best thing on it. Remember "Wild World of Sports"? You won't see much of that (the variety) on network TV anymore.

BTW, I know the karate guy who got knocked out on the WWS intro vid. Wathing yourself getting knocked out every week must have been hard.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Shur View Post
    That's also what people were told about satellite radio (BTW, am I the only one who finds the music stations un-listenable, quality-wise?). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I never fell for the satellite radio ploy.
    radio used to be about the music. Now it is about the three to six jocks who think they're funny, but aren't. Who think their opinions matter, but since I can't care about these loud-mouths i certainly don't care about their opinions. But that is commercial radio. Don't have satellite radio. I've trained Pandora, but it took a while. I haven't taken the time to train Spotify but I use it sometimes.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast