Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much longer can the networks hold on?

Content aside, there is something simple and magical still about OTA broadcasting of any sort--no cable infrastructure or internet access+computer etc needed--just through the airwaves to a receiver. That ending would be a great loss I think.

phil p

Sounds like SAT TV, Dish, DTV, etc. OTA to a reciever?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    My newest flat screen has multiple inputs and a stereo audio out. (Bought at Black Friday Walmart sale... very cheap...) So it is possible to run most inputs to the TV directly. But as I have a nice surround setup, I run some to the TV AND to the receiver. And the TV is fed to the receiver. I usually don't turn on the surround system just to listen to news or whatever, but there are some good music shows on PBS. And I have an old studio computer feeding any internet content to the receiver and TV. That includes Pandora, Spotify, Youtube, oh... and our CD collection which is stored on an iOmega Personal Cloud and is accessible by any of the computers in the house including the old studio computer.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

No--none of that extra stuff--a simple receiver, affordable by almost anyone, using a resource (the airwaves), that are supposed to be open to all, not just subscribers. There have been many important moments in my life that were shared by a large percentage of Americans watching (or listening) to them at the same time via the same medium. I think that is powerful, and I'd hate to see it go away. There is something to be said for stumbling onto content that is outside of one's chosen profile (or the profile chosen for you by Pandora etc).

philp

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    There is something to be said for stumbling onto content that is outside of one's chosen profile (or the profile chosen for you by Pandora etc).

philp
    This is exactly what i miss in OTA radio. The nice part about Pandora is that it plays artists that are 'similar' to the artists you have chosen, if you make your own station. The limit is, of course, whatever they decide is 'similar' and how broad their collection is. But I created about 20 custom stations, then select 'Quick Mix' which blends them all together, giving me a broad selection of music. I wish their playlist was bigger, but it ain't bad. It did take weeks, maybe months to train that many stations using the 'thumbs down' when they would play something that I did not want to hear ever again.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

sports is probably the best thing on it.
    Only if you like sports!

I can enjoy about five minutes max of sports highlights.

There are quite a few good shows on TV, and several great shows. Both on the networks and the for-pay channels. But 90% of it is drek (for me). I tried to watch Jersey Shore once. Just once. (Johnny Dangerously reference.)

But the ad breaks are too long and the content is often horrible, especially this time of year. We have two candidate pairs in Connecticut fighting to be elected, and the attack ads are endless. One praises a candidate and the very next one trashes her. Ad nauseum.

--Ethan

Quality drama on network TV is becoming increasingly rare. Agree. One possible exception to that is Vegas, using a big screen movie star and a very good script. It's kinda like the old "Chicago Story" crime series in a way, political, violent, good writing.

But by and large - and easily so - the best dramas are on "pay TV". Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, even Kelsey Grammar in "Boss" (exceptional show), things like that which are (imo, far and away) much better writing than most network TV dramas. The list of "superior" dramatic series on pay TV is very long. Many of those have no commercial interruption at all.

Boardwalk Empire and Homeland are two more examples of the large quality gap between pay TV and OTA TV.

But that may explain the push towards more commercial interruption in some other cases, that they're paying more money to develop some of these series. Did you ever watch HBO's "Rome"? I doubt few if any network TV series have ever had that kind of budget. If so, its usually a mini-series or something with tons of commercials, not an ongoing show.

The other advantage is that you don't need to schedule time to watch any of it. It all plays over and over in kind of a loop, so you can watch it at your leisure.

Anyway, I personally like "good stories", whether that be reading a good Stephen King book or a good spy novel or watching a good story on TV or at the theater.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 10-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Writing? I thought they just used formulas these days. Like the crime shows, which I haven't watched in probably 7 years or more. Always started and ended the same way, with predictable plot in between.

The show that really pulled me in was Damages with Glenn Close and Rose Byrne. Pretty amazing writing with lots of twists and turns. And then there was 24.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Writing? I thought they just used formulas these days.
    Not really imo..

Breaking Bad isn't a forumla I've seen before really. On the contrary, it was about as unpredictable as TV ever gets. Homeland tells a terrorism / spy story the likes of which I've never seen on TV. "Boss" is (at least so far) a story of political power where the really, really evil bad guy always wins, unlike most where good always conquers evil like in the fairy tale world.

It was odd at first watching Kelsey Grammer play a villan. He does it rather well.

But yeah, the reason some of those shows are dominating the awards is because they actually aren't predictable.

+1 for Boss--one of the few shows I watch. Only problem is, it's a show where everyone seems to be badly flawed, evil or both. Usually both. Not a single nice person. But a great show.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast