Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreens

Default Touchscreens

Every so often I bring this up, because I still dream of a "console" that's nothing more than a couple of large flat-panel monitors I use as a touch-screen display.

It would appear the touchscreen technology is becoming more mainstream and shockingly affordable. Is anyone out there using one for normal audio production?

In particular, I'd really like to do a multi-monitor set-up.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

I've seen various touch-screen console substitutes and other controllers in pix of dubstages--I recall that John Ross had some big ones in Hollywood a few years back. I don't know if they worked out. My main beef with all touch screens, incl phones, is that you have to be looking at them to target your fingers correctly--there is no tactile cue for when your fingers are placed on the right controller image. This makes "glass faders" hard to use for things like mixing to video....

philp

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Well, first thing, i hate touch screens. Second, the resolution is terrible for editing. But there are a lot of people using tablets for live audio, and this is very popular with SAC users (SAC being a live mixing app from the guy who wrote SAW), ans SMAART users. I just can't imagine the touchscreen size required to get my DAW on the screen, I'm now using a 30 inch 2560x1900 resolution screen with a 19 incher on the side and the buttons are quite small. I also know that grabbing 4 to 8 touch 'sliders' and expecting to control them as we do real siders is not likely to work very well. In my opinion touchscreens are great for entertainment and phones and several outher daily tasks, but i don't 'see' it as being practical for complex editing.

Bill
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

I'm still hopeful, I guess.

I don't see them replacing the keyboard and mouse for editing, but i do see value in the set up for a lot of basic tasks around the mix. I hear you on the small buttons and the resolution of touch screens.

Right now I'm still using an old Houston for a control surface. Kind of a lousy controller, but I've not found much I like better than isn't very expensive. And, it's hard to justify thousands on what is really a glorified mouse, especially since I'm usually typing in gains and fader movements instead of programming them live, anyway.

Sigh.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    Right now I'm still using an old Houston for a control surface. Kind of a lousy controller, but I've not found much I like better than isn't very expensive. And, it's hard to justify thousands on what is really a glorified mouse, especially since I'm usually typing in gains and fader movements instead of programming them live, anyway.

Sigh.
    I was given a d8b which as it turns out doesn't work, but there is a controller software called the d8bridge which I have bought but have yet to hook up. It is interesting and since I already have the d8b.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNtHd...layer_embedded
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Gio is offline 3D VIP 2008, '09, '10, '11

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    My main beef with all touch screens, incl phones, is that you have to be looking at them to target your fingers correctly--there is no tactile cue for when your fingers are placed on the right controller image. This makes "glass faders" hard to use for things like mixing to video....

philp
    Yes. I still prefer to work in 3 dimensions.

I remember things like facing forward and running the tape transport to my right without even looking at it. Including punches.

<sigh>
    Giovanni Fusco
    On Staff Here
    My Place

"Real People, Real Performances."

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Yes. I still prefer to work in 3 dimensions.

I remember things like facing forward and running the tape transport to my right without even looking at it. Including punches.

<sigh>

Not only that (yeah... what happened to my autolocator???) but I like to listen with my eyes closed. I do better work that way.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

(Chris Hedges)

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    Every so often I bring this up, because I still dream of a "console" that's nothing more than a couple of large flat-panel monitors I use as a touch-screen display.

It would appear the touchscreen technology is becoming more mainstream and shockingly affordable. Is anyone out there using one for normal audio production?

In particular, I'd really like to do a multi-monitor set-up.

Thoughts? Experiences?
    A number of Soundtracs/Digico consoles have touch-screen as do consoles from Klotz etc. I find it's actually a question of ergonomics rather than *just* whether things are accessed via a real knob or a touch-screen. I also know that replacing some touch screens that are integrated into consoles has been quite pricey $$$$. So that may be a factor.

Or are you thinking of having a virtual studio with software that is driven via generic touch-screens? That sounds interesting. Maybe Windows 8 will spawn some programs/software interaction along those lines.

HaigBabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
    A number of Soundtracs/Digico consoles have touch-screen as do consoles from Klotz etc.
    As well as the Soundcraft Vi series, & the nearly ubiquitous Yamaha M7.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Haigbabe View Post
    Or are you thinking of having a virtual studio with software that is driven via generic touch-screens? That sounds interesting. Maybe Windows 8 will spawn some programs/software interaction along those lines.
    That's more the thought. Basically the touch screen is a mouse, so in some cases, like roughly setting gains, it's basically just a big desk I can "normally" navigate around the software.

I don't see it as a panacea, I actually like the keyboard & mouse for most tasks, but I do see it as effective for a lot of basic tasks, too.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast