Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreens

Haigbabe is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dugger View Post
    That's more the thought. Basically the touch screen is a mouse, so in some cases, like roughly setting gains, it's basically just a big desk I can "normally" navigate around the software.

I don't see it as a panacea, I actually like the keyboard & mouse for most tasks, but I do see it as effective for a lot of basic tasks, too.
    I'm guessing that Windows 8 is going to start seeing more things along these lines (touch-screen), and quite likely some Android devices doing something similar to iPad stuff.

I know that using SADiE with the hardware panels, one develops favourite ways of doing things that are quick and effective (and fast). With SADiE 6 native I find I have to relearn how to do things with a kb&m, and it's a bit annoying

I've seen some people move around the Klotz desks pretty quickly with finger taps and am guessing that it's quite possibly the way things are going. My caveat though is that having a daw requiring finger taps means being able to place things effectively in the studio (monitor screens and monitor speakers) is going to get more problematical.

HaigBabe
    Proud supporter of 3D as a 2012 3D VIP

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I still don't want to have to look at the screen. I do a lot of mixing with my eyes closed. I grab a knob or fader, and listen. no way to do that on a touch screen. I mentioned the resolution thing before... on the track control section of Samplitude/Sequoia my finger would cover several buttons in the resolution I now use, so I'd have to reduce the resolution and have less on the screen (and I just bought this larger monitor to get more in front of me at once) or be pulling the visible part of the screen all around.... all in all a PITA. Plus there is the whole ergonomic thing... put the screen down, you have to look down, put the screen tilted up, it has to be within arms reach but not blocking the audio monitors. And then you're reaching out and touching, where a flick of the wrist used to do the job... going backwards, in my view. Imagine 6 or 8 or 16 hours of reaching out and touching, having to look at the screen, blah blah blah... I see it as being a lot harder.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

I dislike the touch screens on consoles. In fact, I dislike the loss of instant tactility with digital consoles. When I do live gigs, if possible with the material, I still prefer an analog board.

I realize that the industry is moving quickly towards digital options. Quality issues aside, from my standpoint, I think we lose something in the mixing experience on those consoles. But economically, digital options are allowing production companies to remain profitable.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

This was announced today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4HHiXqcyu2M

Nothing I'd be interested in...

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post

Yes, saw it earlier. Like you, not for me. I still see the whole ergonomic issue plus it is in the way of the audio monitors, and there is a lot of vagueness... like speaker output jacks? No pictures of the I/O, how does the audio get into the RavenMTX to get to speaker output jacks? And the $1k price point that everyone wants... the stand for this thing has to be a grand.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

I'm just starting to mess with a medium-sized touchscreen, in the iPad. I'm not terribly enamored of it so far. Maybe it will grow on me.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by waltz mastering View Post

I give them full marks for attempting to jump on technology trends and gamble that it will catch on.

The problem I see here is that it is software driven. That immediately gives it a short lifespan. Eventually computers will need to be upgraded / replaced - and that means driver / software upgrades for the unit itself. If so many others in the controller market are an indication, this isn't good news. Limited life span. Like so many other pieces of newer technology, it's novel, but doesn't have staying power that makes good economic sense.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    Imagine 6 or 8 or 16 hours of reaching out and touching, having to look at the screen, blah blah blah... I see it as being a lot harder.
    That's the first thing I noticed in that video, how much reaching up to get to things there seemed to be. Of course, that's the way it was on the big consoles of yesteryear too. We managed.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Interesting points, and a good reply by Steven.

http://www.protoolerblog.com/2012/10...uction-system/
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    That's the first thing I noticed in that video, how much reaching up to get to things there seemed to be. Of course, that's the way it was on the big consoles of yesteryear too. We managed.
    The difference being that we were grabbing the knobs, grabbing the faders. in the 'old' days we were also able to look down at what we were doing that split second before hitting play and closing our eyes, but now we also have to look up at the DAW monitor and check our finger placement on a touch screen.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

(Chris Hedges)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast