Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Touchscreens

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios View Post
    I still see the whole ergonomic issue plus it is in the way of the audio monitors
    This seems like it would be a big draw back. It takes you out of the sweet spot for the speakers because of it's height. A bit of form over function.

Yea, none of what's being posted up is really what I'm thinking. I'm still of the mind of a "desk" where the surface is 3 or so 22-24" monitors, and a keyboard tray beneath. It's certainly no more intrusive than any other kind of control surface, or in the way of monitors, etc., any more than anything we are using now, and probably a lot less so.

Ergonomically again, it's roughly the same as what we are doing now. Basically, just think of a giant iPad sitting on a table in front of you with a keyboard under it.

My whole thing is "are the mouse drivers good?" Because if they are, it solves the compatibility problem. I'm not looking for a surface I have to have special drivers for. I want Nuendo to see "WM_LEFTCLICK, WM_MOUSEMOVE, etc" (if any of you remember that kind of thing!), and not realize it wasn't a real mouse.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Remember the Mackie dxb? Sort of similar, it had two touch screens but also conventional faders and some knobs. Not sure if it was ahead of its time, poorly executed, or didn't sound good enough. I remember looking at it and thinking there was no way they would get it reliable enough. As I recall, it went away pretty quickly.

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin Shur View Post
    Remember the Mackie dxb? Sort of similar, it had two touch screens but also conventional faders and some knobs..... .
    I've mentioned that elsewhere... similar working idea, for sure. I brought up several issues with the d8x at one of the private showings at AES, really pissed off the demo guy. A couple of Mackie employees found me out in the hall afterwards and we talked about it. Not long afterwards, I got an email from someone more in a position to know telling me they didn't expect the d8x to make it to market. I guess it did, for a short time.

The Slate offering looks like a pricy, higher quality piece. My objections might not be everyone's objections. But it seems to me that the real market for these devices sits at around $1,000. There are several high dollar answers that work already, and the internet boards are filled with complaints about the prices. And there are no shortage of threads asking for a similar controller to the Slate... all expecting the price to be around $1,000. (sigh...)
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

That's funny. For $1000 you get two iPads, not a professional custom-made solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123