Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How low can you go? Setting up to make a record for cheap.

Default How low can you go? Setting up to make a record for cheap.

How much can you record for how little money? That's the question for the day. A 24-track setup (excluding mics and peripherals) capable of making a real record for under $2000? Can it be done? I'll let you know.

I'm pricing a system exclusive of all peripherals, just computer and interface, that will fit in a briefcase. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    How much can you record for how little money? That's the question for the day. A 24-track setup (excluding mics and peripherals) capable of making a real record for under $2000? Can it be done? I'll let you know.
    I'm pricing a system exclusive of all peripherals, just computer and interface, that will fit in a briefcase. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
    I occasionally take out a system in a rolling carry-on case. Sixteen in, not 24. A MOTU Traveler & a Focusrite ISA828 with ADAT card, & a MacBookPro. There are definitely more elegant solutions, but this is what I have, & it's generally to help out a friend with a small budget. More like $200 than $2000, to document a friend's live gig.

SF

Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    I occasionally take out a system in a rolling carry-on case. Sixteen in, not 24. A MOTU Traveler & a Focusrite ISA828 with ADAT card, & a MacBookPro.

SF
    Likewise I could take a Fireface800, Mytek converters, a pair of 8x mic pres and a laptop. Took out various mixtures of this gear many times. Didn't fit in a briefcase though.
    Bill Park
    Welcome Home Studios

The elites have squandered the country's wealth on two of the costliest and most useless wars in American history while blithely pretending that the environmental crisis doesn't exist. We no longer have any mechanisms within the formal structures of power that will protect or advance our rights.
    (Chris Hedges)

Showbusiness. We're all here because we're not all there.

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

24 channels of interface / conversion / pre-amps for under $2k? That's a tall order. Being a Metric Halo user, I know that good compact setups can be had. But $2k is a tight budget. That 24 channel M-audio interface might be able to work... but then you only have 8 pre-amps. On that budget, I'm not sure how you're going to do this without access to a console with direct outs for preamps.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Briefcase, no... but a ProTools Mix+, G5, and three 888s can be had for a LOT less than 2 large... rumor has it there was one or two records made on that setup. What would a TDM rig cost these days?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

A MOTU Traveler Mk2 + a MOTU 8pre= 16 chan with 12 mic pres, I just sold these for a total of $400. Find an inexpensive decent 4 way mic pre, then you have 16 pres (unless you can get away with 4 line sources). 2 of these rigs and an old mac laptop (could be a G4) on device aggro= 32 in. If you can borrow another laptop run them separately w/ word clock between the Travelers, still 32 in. Use the free MOTU Audio Desk app, or cheap Boom Recorder.

philp

I'm looking at the 64G iPad with the Presonus 1818VSL, for 18 ins - 8 with mic pres - and 48 tracks using Auria. That would be $1250.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I'm looking at the 64G iPad with the Presonus 1818VSL, for 18 ins - 8 with mic pres - and 48 tracks using Auria. That would be $1250.
    Not to get too far off course, but isn't there a certain expectation on the client's part as to what constitutes a pro rig?

I'm only asking, not trying to start a rock fight.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Not to get too far off course, but isn't there a certain expectation on the client's part as to what constitutes a pro rig?

I'm only asking, not trying to start a rock fight.
    Let's mix it up. ;-)

If you haven't noticed, the expectations (and pay) for what is considered "acceptable" these days has changed dramatically.

I'm not looking for a rig to go out and record the PSO or DSO with but just something for remote audio gathering, like house concerts or living room sessions. Mostly all live and with few if any overdubs. Just a multitrack capture device with few bells and whistles and strings. Fast in, fast out.

It is disturbing these days what is passing as "acceptable." When you can get $5 remixes or $5 mastering online, clearly the bar for "acceptable" has drastically changed. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to adapt to this brave new world of marginal and highly undesirable "acceptability."
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I think - given your engineering talent - that you might be very surprised what you can accomplish with relatively inexpensive gear.

The immediate subjective roadblocks will be mostly not having familiar tools. I mean, if you reach for certain goto TDM plugs or similar to do certain things you'll have to get that done otherwise, with other plugs, and/or become familiar enough with a new portable tool to quickly reach a level of processed sound that makes you comfortable.

The other immediate roadblock is expectations of preamps. If you're accustomed to tracking with the world's finest pres you'll likely not hear exactly what you're accustomed to hearing. Will that stop you from making a good record? In your case I seriously doubt it. ;/ I think you could do it with any Prosumer preamps. While you might (by memory reference) know it could maybe be "better", that won't mean it still won't be very good.

Now that might be a very interesting listening adventure from the 3db store. Lynn does prosumer. Track and mix with nothing but prosumer audio devices, low cost mics, and just don't use your expensive outboard hardware or plugs in the mix at all, use whatever plugs are in the DAW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast