Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The iPad Chronicles [iPad, Auria, Presonus]

I'm with ya' Philip - still packing around my Jim Williams-modified HD24XR with two D.A.V. BG-8 preamp strips and the FirePort to dump it in the laptop. Works great first time, every time. I like it so much I bought a second one for him to mod for a spare.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, just cheerfully stating that I'm happy being an old codger when it comes to my multi-track field rig. And yeah, I'll be the first to admit that the smallest UPS I could find is still four extra pounds.
    John Whitmer

"They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Ah, the bleeding edge....

Turns out the iPad 4 won't recognize the Presonus 1818VSL interface either.

Prompt says "This device is not supported...." This is using all the same cables and connections, except the Lightning connector on the iPad 4.

Definitely time for a downgrade.
    Turns out it will recognize the Presonus, after restarting everything and reconnecting. That's good. So it's staying. Dropbox will serve as alternate file up/download path.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

For Philip:

18 tracks, 1024 buffer, 24-bit, 96K, running with no apps in the background.

30 minutes of recording. No hiccups.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

For Philip:

18 tracks, 1024 buffer, 24-bit, 96K, running with no apps in the background.

30 minutes of recording. No hiccups.
    OK, but we did more tracks for several times as long with a slow G4 powerbook and a Traveler years ago. I don't see the iPad thing as progress, I see it as a scary solution to a situation that already has several much less scary and pretty reasonably priced solutions. Was your 30 min recording a real job with real players in a
    non-repeatable type situation like a concert w/ an audience? I'm not doubting the rig worked, but was this a real sweat test? If so, is this now going to be your live record axe? Are you cool with the sound of these recordings, not to mention the control and reliability aspects of the setup for live use with money up? If so...cool, means a lot...

philp

As someone who used to spend hours setting up a recording system, installing the application, making sure all the plugins were authorized and just generally putting up with lots of frustration, I must admit that

1) Going to the iTunes store and clicking two buttons, BUY and INSTALL, is a major step forward.

2) Plugging a single USB2 cable from an interface to a powered hub then into an iPad

Is such a huge improvement that it's really mind-boggling.

Anyone else remember chasing down "extension conflicts?" Oh, how many hours did I lose doing that?

I just got the Focusrite 18i6 interface. One USB cable connects it the hub which connects it to the iPad. Open up Auria and BAM! All 18 inputs configured and ready. That's ALL I did. Connect the cable.

There's a big part of me that LOVES that.

Hooking up the mic? If using the Apogee MiC, then it's just as drop dead simple. One cable from the mic to the iPad (or in the case of the iPad 4, a cable to the Lightning adapter cable). That's it.

Compare that to mic (possibly including external power supply) to XLR to Preamp to XLR to ADC to XLR to interface.

Is the quality comparable? Too early to tell. I do not expect it to be. But I'll be fair and let my ears decide. I will admit that there's a sinking part inside of me that realizes that 99% of the people out there who are accustomed to listening on MP3s over Earbuds most likely won't be able to detect a difference between a Bock 251 to a Millennia HV3R to a Cranesong HEDD (a $15,000 signal path which doesn't include ANY signal processing) and the $200 Apogee MiC, which will do the same fundamental thing: convert acoustic signals to digital data to record.

So is that exciting? Or depressing?

Is it progress?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

So is that exciting? Or depressing?

Is it progress?
    I'd vote "Yes". All of the above.

Could become a nice tool in the kit... kinda like my NT4->XLR5->miniTRS->Edirol R09HR, everything on batteries and taped to a single stand. Yes... it's... small. And unimpressive. But that gear, well positioned, plus a fresh 9V and a couple of fresh AAs will record a concert with far more fidelity than my A3340s and pair of Primos in XY in 1975. And I won't need Ibuprophen after load-out. I'll need a pocket, and one free hand for the Manfrotto.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678