Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The iPad Chronicles [iPad, Auria, Presonus]

Not sure if I'll do more than a cursory look at 24/96. Given the internal drive size limitations, that doesn't really seem feasible for a large project.

Quote Originally Posted by emrr View Post
    I am most interested to hear if it can really capture 16 or more channels at 96/24 for any length of time without stuttering or choking in the pipe. Can it do it for an hour, and capture a bar band set at the local club? Error free? Stepping outside of the price window, with something like an Aurora 16 with USB card?
    It's just a common USB 2 connection so it should be able to handle whatever a laptop or desktop can handle through the same USB 2 data pipe, whatever the upper limit of that is. iPad, Desktop, Laptop, I can't see (as relates to how many tracks you can record at once using the exact same USB hardaware) how it would be any different.

It's just data passing directly to Core Audio and to a storage drive. In this case, a flash drive.

There are differences between USB2 and FireWire in regards to how they handle streaming data like audio and video. This used to be a concern, maybe we've passed the point where that matters. Maybe it works great at 48k, and not at all at 88.2 and 96. So few people use high rates, it's hard to find field reports addressing real world performance. I suspect if my 4 year old laptop takes issue when asked to run at 96, then an iPad might too.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Not sure if I'll do more than a cursory look at 24/96. Given the internal drive size limitations, that doesn't really seem feasible for a large project.
    Come on, take mults off another session and let it record 16 tracks 96/24 for an hour, check for issues.

Cool calculator here:

http://www.sounddevices.com/calculator/

Looks like 64GB gives about 4 hours of 16 track 96/24 audio, at a transfer rate of 4500 KB/sec.
    Last edited by emrr; 10-25-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emrr View Post
    Come on, take mults off another session and let it record 16 tracks 96/24 for an hour, check for issues.
    That wouldn't even require audio. Just a stress test like we used to do with PT. Drop the max number of tracks in record and come back an hour later. Throughput is throughput, whether there are any 1's or not. That's an easy test.

What's the file size per minute for 24/96?

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    That wouldn't even require audio. Just a stress test like we used to do with PT. Drop the max number of tracks in record and come back an hour later. Throughput is throughput, whether there are any 1's or not. That's an easy test.
    It's been a while since I've checked this or thought about it, but I recall in the earlier days of Mac native set ups I experienced increased CPU or buffer loads when recording actual signal through the interface, as opposed to mere silence. Doesn't make sense but I saw it enough times to accept that it wasn't a fluke. Might just be an aspect of MOTU interfaces, don't know.
    SF

http://24bit.turtleside.com/pcm.wav.file.sizes.pdf

So 25 hours of stereo 24/96 would fill up 50G (considering it has a 64G internal drive). So roughly 1 hour for 24 tracks at 24/96. I could try that. I might do 15 minutes recording 24 tracks, then 15 minutes playing back while recording another 24 tracks.

Check the calculator link in my edited post; pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    It's been a while since I've checked this or thought about it, but I recall in the earlier days of Mac native set ups I experienced increased CPU or buffer loads when recording actual signal through the interface, as opposed to mere silence. Doesn't make sense but I saw it enough times to accept that it wasn't a fluke. Might just be an aspect of MOTU interfaces, don't know.
    SF
    I saw this with other interfaces too. We decided that real test of a system's capacity to record required it to be passing and recording signal, and not the same signal on all channels either (ie a test tone). For a system like the one described here (iPad) I would strongly recommend this kind of test before any gig you cared about.

philp

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast