Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The iPad Chronicles [iPad, Auria, Presonus]

Are you using the Presonus AudioBox iPad software to control the Presonus box? That's interesting to me--but I couldn't find the iPad app on their site--is it an app store thing?

philp

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Perkins View Post
    Are you using the Presonus AudioBox iPad software to control the Presonus box? That's interesting to me--but I couldn't find the iPad app on their site--is it an app store thing?
    For now, the Auria software will be the front end. I'm just installing it now. I'll keep you posted. Is there an iPad software from Presonus? If so, I wasn't aware of it.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    For now, the Auria software will be the front end. I'm just installing it now. I'll keep you posted. Is there an iPad software from Presonus? If so, I wasn't aware of it.
    They say there is (site, manual for that 1818 box) but I can't find it on the site. In the manual they say it only controls the presonus as a remote control of a laptop, I think (ad hoc wifi), if I'm reading the manual right--ie not the iPad on its own. With Auria no computer is required, right, just iPad?

philp

The iPad only uses Core Audio so there's no way to install something like a driver for a audio device. In this case you also can't launch things like Cue Mix software in the iPad to take control of the internal mixer. I think the best case for "serious" recording with an iPad would be to use one of MOTU's USB devices or similar, something that has LED controls on the front panel so you'd have full control over the hardware.

The Presonus VSL devices don't allow full access to all the hardware features from the front panel, only from OSX and Win, which is probably one reason why (relatively speaking) the prices are a bit lower.

Trying just to load in 44 tracks of 24/48K audio files via iTunes. Spent an hour on it with no luck. I'm feeling like a 2-year-old trying to learn how to tie my shoes right about now. Shouldn't be this hard.

(I don't have to be this honest, you know?)

Quote Originally Posted by emrr View Post
    I am most interested to hear if it can really capture 16 or more channels at 96/24 for any length of time without stuttering or choking in the pipe. Can it do it for an hour, and capture a bar band set at the local club? Error free? Stepping outside of the price window, with something like an Aurora 16 with USB card?
    I ran a test last night. 16 tracks at 24/96. Recorded for a minute. Added another 16 in record for a minute while playing back the first 16. Then added 5 more stereo tracks. Hit record. Then added 6 more stereo tracks. Hit record.

Several observations:

1) This is not real world because we don't record 1 minute songs.
    2) CPU usage at its highest never exceeded 30%. There are CPU and Disk Space Usage meters right on the front of the mixer.
    3) I got "Low Memory" messages at least four times, so I finally quit every other app BUT Auria. That seemed to eliminate the problem.
    4) It only bailed on a recording one time, and that was when I had the buffer set to 128. I upped it to 256 and it seemed fine. By then I was playing back 42 tracks at 24/96 and recording 12 more.

I considered doing a stress test and recording for a long duration but file management using iTunes, at least to someone accustomed to using a computer, seems like a real headache. I'm going to wait to do that test until after I finish my actual music recording. I don't want to fill up the drive with huge empty files.

Like the guy at the Apple store told me, "the iPad is designed for GATHERING information." Fascinating. In the big picture, I think he's right. It's a content-vacuum. Videos, pictures, audio: it's designed to collect info. It's really easy to import stuff into an iPad. Exporting (apart from tossing it into iTunes), not so much. So far, it seems like the recording will be the easy part. At least to this seasoned pro who is accustomed to using multiple backup drives and backup utilities like SyncPro and drag and drop file management.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

I only had Facebook and Safari open on the iPad when I launched Auria and the first thing I saw was a Memory Low splash screen. (This is a 24/96 session, for what that's worth.) I've had Auria installed for less than 12 hours and have seen that screen about six times. I wonder if this will be an issue when full sessions are running.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    I only had Facebook and Safari open on the iPad when I launched Auria and the first thing I saw was a Memory Low splash screen. (This is a 24/96 session, for what that's worth.) I've had Auria installed for less than 12 hours and have seen that screen about six times. I wonder if this will be an issue when full sessions are running.
    You should (almost) always shut down every other iPad app when using Auria. I say "almost always" because there are other music production apps that will work alongside Auria, to transfer tracks back and forth directly, but when tracking and mixing, you should shut down all other unrelated tasks or you'll occasionally get the low memory warning.

Thanks for the early report. The foggy line around memory and CPU usage is most interesting. Glad to hear they've incorporated metering.

I noticed somewhere a comment about loading existing sessions into Auria through itunes using zipped packages. That sounds like smart management. The itunes system is crude for sure, you can't delete or edit from the itunes window, only import or export, and you can't organize either. Dropbox/etc would be a real pain on the average internet connection. Might work great in NYC/SF/LA etc.
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

One quick contextual comment, and then back to permanent lurking.

The general outside view of this kinda thing with the iPad is (imo) correct, that using a laptop and any decent daw is easily a much better proposition for mobile recording and mixing and music production in general. Where the script often gets lost with the iPad stuff is with the context of people who actually don't own (and don't want to own) a laptop, who use iPads pretty much exclusively away from their Mac desktop.

So it's an "Apple User" thing mostly, people who like Apple gear and try to make the most of it. Otherwise you could just (I suppose) use a Windows tablet with actual Windows running on it and probably do a heck of lot more re: mobile recording, with an external drive and without the various limitations Apple places on the iPad.

So, it all often has a certain somewhat narrow context, personally and technically speaking. Go record at your buddies house, dump the files into Logic Express when you get home, whatever.

But any full time pro doing serious mobile recording will have a decent laptop obviously.

Back to lurking.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 10-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast