Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Audio Technica 5040 vs. SM57 on electric guitar

Quote Originally Posted by lowdbrent View Post
    No kidding.

Say Lynn, I have heard various beta testers say that his is a vocal mic only. Some said that they would never use it for drum over heads because of it's off axis response, etc. Obviously, it can be used for whatever, especially guitar. Would you agree about the over head application not being a good one?
    I tried it on drum overheads. Not my favorite. I recorded samples of that too. I may include them with the Pro Audio Review review I'm writing now.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Dream Theater recorded vocals and at least acoustic guitar with the new AT mic. I suspect there will be some press and a review in the near future by Richard Chycki.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    The difference I hear between the two, other than the obvious EQ difference, is the three dimensionality of the AT 5040 compared to the SM57 which feels very flat and cardboard-y by comparison. At least to my ears. Sitting in the studio in front of my studio monitors, the difference was shocking. The SM57 felt like a reasonable facsimile of the guitar cabinet while the 5040 felt like the cabinet was sitting right in front of my face, up on the meter bridge. Huge difference to me.
    I know thousands of recordings were used with a SM57 on a guitar cab and the results at the end sound very good. But to me they don't provide an accurate sound of the amp. The AT5040 does which is probably why you fell in love with it on guitar cabs. I found several condensers like the AT 4050 or Blue Encore 300 provide a much more accurate sound of the guitar cabs than the SM57. Many though want that mid punch and not the accurate sound of the amp. Then there is the blending of mic's on a guitar cab. One for the punch, and one for the more accurate sound of the amp and blending the two together. You also the option to use a ribbon mic's to remove the harshness and add some smoothness on many amps, and sometimes blending with a dynamic Audix I5 (I prefer over the SM57)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Agreed. A lot of options. And some of them very very good.

Did anyone read Hugh Robjohns' review of the 5040 for Studio Sound? They got the exclusive "first review" story rights from A-T. I looked it up online but only a few paragraphs are available without a subscription, which I don't have.
    You can read the full review here. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec1...ica-at5040.htm After reading it, I am glad I purchased the Blue Kiwi. I also think a Brauner Phanthera would probably be a better choice for vocals if you want the weight of a transformer on the mic. The AT5040 appears to be a good mic, not just a great one overall.

The AT5040 sounded great on this , This almost reminds me of the TAB funkenwork transformer mod done on the 57 , which may be a much cheaper way to get a more open and natural gtr tone .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345