Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: control room window

Default control room window

In the new control room we're installing two plates of glass to view the great room. Because the CR looks 6 feet down into the GR I'm not sure which way the two plates of glass need to be tilted. Should the CR glass be tillted down into the CR or up in the GR. Which one of the 2 plates needs to be straight. Thanks for your help.
    GR 20x30x12. -CR 12x15x8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	budd_street_plot.jpg 
Views:	732 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	3582
    I found this (click to enlarge) diagram which is similar to the studio.

Conventional wisdom says to tilt both down. You don't want them parallel to each other. Also, use different thicknesses of glass if at all possible. And use the thickest glass you can afford.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Tilt them both downward. The acoustic benefit of tilted windows is generally overstated, but be aware of visual reflection from your room lights. You don't want to be looking into your tracking room & seeing your own face more clearly than your musicians.
    Use at least 1/4" laminated glass. Laminated is less resonant than single plate glass.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    be aware of visual reflection from your room lights. You don't want to be looking into your tracking room & seeing your own face more clearly than your musicians.
    +1 to this, and to your other points too.

--Ethan

Lynn & Scott thanks so much-!! Ethan just seen your R rated acoustic video man you are a hoot now i need to go to confessions

I've got 3/4" and 1/2" laminated glass, with both windows tilted down. I'm trying to remember what my studio designer had suggested as to how many degrees to try to get them tilted. I know we couldn't quite get there but we were close. Very happy with them. And don't skimp on the thickness and the lamination. Both very important. Also, make sure that in the gap between the two, the walls/floor/ceiling of that cavity should be treated with sound absorption material as well to help minimize sound amplification of the sound that does get in there.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

And if you're dealing with double wall construction, make sure they aren't built into the same frame. I know it sounds stupid to build doubled isolated walls and then put it in a single frame that will couple the walls, but that's what a contractor will do unless you watch them like a hawk. And make sure you seal the cracks between the two frames with silicone caulk so nothing can climb up in between them. I think you do need to leave a small hole so they can breath. Also, make sure the glass is really clean on the inside before you hang it. You won't get a second chance. TSP works great.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I'll second what Lynn says. We did that as well. After having re-read you layout, you mention that you would be looking 6' down into the studio. I think, if possible, you should re-lay out your control room in a similar fashion as to what Russ Berger does. That being, having the console NOT facing the studio, but at 90 degrees. Now, I've never been in any of his designs, even though we were originally looking for him to do ours, so I don't know how well it works. Maybe others could speak to that. Go look at some photos online.

If you were set in a more traditional way, I think it would be difficult to see over the console into the studio. It seems that would be a logistical nightmare. Is there a way to simulate that view?
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Grimmius View Post
    If you were set in a more traditional way, I think it would be difficult to see over the console into the studio.
    A console in a new studio? Who does THAT anymore?

SF

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    And if you're dealing with double wall construction, make sure they aren't built into the same frame. I know it sounds stupid to build doubled isolated walls and then put it in a single frame that will couple the walls, but that's what a contractor will do unless you watch them like a hawk. And make sure you seal the cracks between the two frames with silicone caulk so nothing can climb up in between them. I think you do need to leave a small hole so they can breath. Also, make sure the glass is really clean on the inside before you hang it. You won't get a second chance. TSP works great.
    Glad to hear about your wall specs...
    I had a cinderblock wall built between the control room and studio . There is an isolated wall on each side of the block. "Single frame that will couple the walls" shoot that is excatly what the contractor did... a single frame.

Clean glass... good call.

Breathing hole?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast