Thread: Akg c-214

Default Akg c-214

My only current LDC are a pair of AT-4047s. I want to get a pair that are a bit more natural and less colored. I have been looking at a pair of the AKG C-214s and wanted to see what people that have used and own think. I plan on using them mostly for acoustic guitars, other acoustical instruments, drum overheads and maybe some vocals.

Peace

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
    http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com

I have no experience with the C-214, but in the AT lineup, I like the 4040 and 4033 on acoustic guitar, mandolin, etc.. I have the entire line of AT-40xx, except the 4050, and love each one. The 4047 is my go-to drum overhead mic and some vocals. I recently recorded a piano/cello duet and had the 4033 (neck position) paired with the 4047 (bridge/f-hole position) on the cello. Everyone was loving it! KSM-44's were on the piano (Yamaha C7).
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

which do you think is more of a natural clear sound, the 4040 or 4033?

Peace

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab

Quote Originally Posted by cfuehrer View Post
    which do you think is more of a natural clear sound, the 4040 or 4033?
    Probably the 4040. But, they are very similar, in a way, to my ears. Both have a presence peak in them. The 4033 sounds a tad smoother, or less grainy, but that's not saying the 4040 is grainy. Hard to describe, I guess. I have one of the original 4033's, which may or may not sound different than the current "CL" version. The 4033 was my very first LDC way back around, hmmmm 1994? (I had borrowed mics up until that purchase).

I have a pair of 4040's and they are very versatile mics. I have no problem using them on almost any acoustic instrument, if necessary. Sure, something else may work better, but the 4040 will work well.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I don't know your budget, but I'm extremely pleased with the pair of TLM193s I bought used from Rich at Sonare. They, and the much pricier U89s, are the most transparent sounding LDC (actually, more "MDC") mics I've heard on acoustic instruments. Not much "MoJo"... but very uncolored, reasonably flat response, both on- and off-axis. They sound good through Mackie and PreSonus onboards, and really good through Apogee and D.A.V. mic amps. I use them mainly on location for spots under MKH8040 or Gefell M296 arrays at acoustic concert events.

One man's opinion... I'll give mine up when they are pried from my cold, dead fingers...

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

My budget is under $1000, preferably under $800 if I could.

Peace

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab