Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miktek CV4

Yesterday, I had a session tracking vocals for a Southern Gospel male quartet. I set the Miktek CV4 up in addition to my trusty go-to vocal mic, and the CV4 was winning on each vocalist. I had questions about whether it "fit" the tenor guy, but he said he loved what he was hearing from it. So, I kept it. Still, I wasn't totally in love with it on him (tenor), so I switched over to a Neve preamp (actually, the Avedis MA5) from the API that I had been using and his vocal became silky smooth. THAT was cool! It now sounded "right." This mic is surprising me every time I use it. I was most impressed with it on this quartet's lead vocal. Wow! What a huge, up-front sound.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Sounds very cool! One of the things I like, is that it's built here in the U.S. even though parts are from all over the world. I really need something like that for vocals. I've got three distinct mic pres that should get the color or feel I would need. The only other thing I don't have would be a pair of ribbons to add a completely different flavor. Can't afford a pair of Royers or Coles so have to look for something else.

There are a few others I'm looking into as well but thanks for some great insight into this one.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Grimmius View Post
    The only other thing I don't have would be a pair of ribbons to add a completely different flavor. Can't afford a pair of Royers or Coles so have to look for something else.
    I would highly recommend waiting until you can afford a Royer 121, or similar, before you waste your money on something that you won't be totally satisfied with, and ultimately buying one down the road, anyway. I know, that's hard to do!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Royer 121 are...nice...but all the times I put them up on guitar cabs are whatever adjacent with another mic on the same source (guitar cabs, whatever) I can't off the top of my head think of any instance in which I actually kept the 121 track, always opting for the alternative.

Different strokes, I know, but I just felt the love. On the hunt for a replacement very early 74B though...THAT was my go-to guitar amp mic, as well as a lot of other things...probably the most used ribbon I've ever owned/ever will own.

Now if someone were to donate a 77DX, that would become a different story...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Yeah, I hear ya. But there are other great ribbons at, or above, that price point that are great options, too. But, they all require $$$.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Well, we do have one 77DX. It works but needs a good going over and a new ribbon. Not sure if the church is the original owner of this but I believe so. Regardless, once I get that one spiffed up, that does give me other options. I would like a stereo pair of something. Anybody use the R101's yet?
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Royer 121 are...nice...but all the times I put them up on guitar cabs are whatever adjacent with another mic on the same source (guitar cabs, whatever) I can't off the top of my head think of any instance in which I actually kept the 121 track, always opting for the alternative.
    Ken, I have a project here I'm working on where the eguitar was tracked with an SM57 and R121 on the cabinet, separate tracks. I can 100% say that I will be using the ribbon track as primary, with a little of the 57 mixed in. It has an awesome depth to it.

R84 or R88 is a nice compromise on sound and price to the RCA ribbons in my opinion. They are different than the R-121, too -- "creamier" sound.
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Quote Originally Posted by QNote View Post
    Ken, I have a project here I'm working on where the eguitar was tracked with an SM57 and R121 on the cabinet, separate tracks..
    No doubt... just different strokes, I'm sure. Some like Skippy, some like Jif, some prefer no peanut butter at all, opting for just jelly.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quick question: How does this mic compare to a Rode Classic?
    Jim Dugger
    Poorhouse Productions

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to untolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast