Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic remodeling planned. Here are 3D renderings of my control room.

Icon14 Acoustic remodeling planned. Here are 3D renderings of my control room.

One of my next major expenses in the studio planned for this summer is new, or additional, acoustical treatment. Most of this remodel will probably be DIY, just because I think I can, I have the time during the summer, and it will probably be much more cost effective. With that said, I'm looking for those that are willing to give advice, because I do have some questions.

I will start with the control room, mainly due to I believe that room could use the most help. My main room actually sounds fairly well, and I may just build a couple of nice, tall gobos for that room. I will post 3D pixs and photos of that room later.

The control room really needs attention, mainly below 300 Hz, obviously. I will post some frequency response plots soon, since the ones I have are outdated (new desk installed, and equipment layout has changed).

Attached are the 3D renderings I did of the studio in SketchUp. They are far from perfect (first experience with SketchUp), but they do give you an idea of the control room and its dimensions. I've also included an actual photo. I will have to post the other photos in another post.

I have one main question that looms in my thoughts, almost daily: Should my room orientation be changed? Should my console and desk actually be on that left wall instead of the current position in front of the window? At one time in the past, I did move my monitors over on that wall on stands to test my theory. It was a quick and dirty test, but I don't remember enough difference to motivate me into re-orienting the room. But, I could see once everything was moved, there may be an advantage. Not sure. I certainly don't like how close the sofa is (and, as a result, clients) is to the console desk.

I originally thought the angled wall was a great idea...and I think it is for the main room on the other side of it. But for that small control room, is it its Achilles heel?

Here are my thoughts and initial plans:

1) [Possibly] Re-orient the room as discussed above.

2) Create a "cloud" of multiple 12"x12"x2" absorbers (or some aesthetically pleasing sizes) suspended from the ceiling as to allow a 1" gap between them and the ceiling.

3) Add 48"x24"x4" broadband absorbers (such as OC 703/5 panels) in corners at 45deg. over existing Lenrd bass traps, where possible. In corner near door, that's not possible. Place panel on wall close to corner, behind door when open.

4) Add 48"x24"x2" broadband absorbers on wall behind listening position, replacing the current foam.

5) Possibly remove all foam, replacing it with OC 703 2" (or 4", where feasible) panels.

Note: Some panels will be built slightly different to prevent too much high frequency absorption. I realize in this room, all of the bass "issues" won't be remedied, so to prevent the room from sounding "deep," I will need to prevent over-absorption of the highs.

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Room 1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	3700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Room 2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	3701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Room 3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	3702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Room 4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	3703

Name:	DSC_2345.JPG 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	3704
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Here are the additional two photos of the control room...

Name:	DSC_2346.JPG 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	3705Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2347.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	3706

Also, here is the entire studio 3D rendering. It is NOT drawn to scale, and that iso booth is NOT there...yet. That was an idea I had, and this was a drawing done by a CAD student for me to visualize the iso booth. I may build that in the near future. Still thinking.

Name:	SOUNDROOM 1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	3707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOUNDROOM 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	3708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOUNDROOM 3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	3709
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

A small little piece of peaceful Williamson County

Is the desk in the picture the one you currently use ?

How often is the couch actually used?

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

First thing that comes to my mind is the tight quarters of your control room. Is there ANY way you can expand it a bit?
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

I'm going with what Ken and Dave are thinking - the room looks too small for the couch; I'd get a couple of chairs for the clients (and yeah, I know that chairs are not as comfortable as a couch). On the other hand, I really like couches to help with low end absorption.

After looking at the layout of the whole studio, I'd seriously consider straightening that wall out - and probably moving it a few feet into the tracking space. You could potentially create a second iso on the right site (in other words, the talent would pass through one airlock to a second airlock before getting into the large room). That would also allow you to turn the studio desk 90 degrees if desired, so that there's more space behind you...
    Last edited by Dave Martin; 06-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bechtel
    Is the desk in the picture the one you currently use ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bechtel
    How often is the couch actually used?
    Every time a client is there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
    After looking at the layout of the whole studio, I'd seriously consider straightening that wall out - and probably moving it a few feet into the tracking space.
    I can remodel to move that wall, it would just be a LOT of work, obviously.

That would also allow you to turn the studio desk 90 degrees if desired, so that there's more space behind you...
    There is currently room enough to turn the console/desk 90 degrees, over on the left wall. That wall is 11', and there would be about 1.5' or 2' of clearance on each side of the console. The equipment rack would then go underneath the window. The couch may then have to go...nice chairs in their place.
    Last edited by QNote; 06-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

I would not bother changing the wall angle, it's probably helping to keep room modes distributed unevenly, which is a good thing in a room that size. Obviously you are never going to have a flat response at low frequencies in this room but I would suggest mounting the 703 into wood frames leaving a sealed gap behind to increase the absorbtion at low freq. A membrane could also be used inside the frame between the wall and the 703. Check out the absorber designs at the BBC website.

Tim.
    Buzz Audio THE FUTURE OF GREAT RECORDINGS
    http://www.buzzaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
    I would not bother changing the wall angle, it's probably helping to keep room modes distributed unevenly, which is a good thing in a room that size. Obviously you are never going to have a flat response at low frequencies in this room but I would suggest mounting the 703 into wood frames leaving a sealed gap behind to increase the absorbtion at low freq. A membrane could also be used inside the frame between the wall and the 703. Check out the absorber designs at the BBC website.

Tim.
    Were you talking about this BBC link?

I'm liking your thoughts, Tim. Well, I liked everyone's thoughts, but some of them would really put me to work! Originally, the wall was placed at that angle primarily for the acoustics in the tracking room--which I love. It is actually an awesome drum room. Oh, almost forgot...There is a Yamaha C7 in that tracking room, now. I've attached a new drawing to show the piano. Moving the wall is probably a time/expense/headache that's over and above what I want to do. I mean, I have been making some great music in this room for almost 15 years (well, not all those years saw great music, ). I just want to squeeze more out of it.

I'm seriously looking at turning the console 90 degrees to the left, on the 11' wall left of its current position. Adding 703 panels was also something I was seriously planning to do, as well. It certainly would have to be an improvement.

Name:	SOUNDROOM 4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	3710
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

Here is a rendering of what the control room would look like reoriented with the console on the left wall. The couch has been removed, replaced with two chairs. The acoustic treatment shown is what is currently there, NOT the new treatment ideas discussed above.

Name:	Control Room IDEA 1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	3711
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    QNS on Facebook

If you move the console to that position, you will be getting more reflections from the side walls into your listening position. IMO how you have it now is best.

No, that was not the article I meant, I have the pdf of the BBC absorbers but it's too big to upload here, send me a email to tim "at" buzzaudio.com and I'll send it to you. Or you can search for it at BBC; BBC absorbers1992-11.pdf
    Last edited by Tim Farrant; 06-13-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    Buzz Audio THE FUTURE OF GREAT RECORDINGS
    http://www.buzzaudio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast