Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acoustic remodeling planned. Here are 3D renderings of my control room.

I had a control room once that was about 9' x 10'. It even made yours look big by comparison. I didn't have room for ANY chairs. Honest. I had two stools. It was a tape library/control room/dub room/studio. Even had an upright piano in it. And three tape machines (1/2" 8-track, two Revox A77s). It was tight.

I had the studio window (once I expanded and had a studio space) to the side.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
    If you move the console to that position, you will be getting more reflections from the side walls into your listening position. IMO how you have it now is best.
    I did think about the window causing nasty reflections, but my thoughts are (just thoughts) a) first reflections from the window would land behind the mix position, and b) new treatment behind the listening position would absorb most of them. Also, I thought about having panels that could be placed over the window, if needed, during mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
    No, that was not the article I meant, I have the pdf of the BBC absorbers...Or you can search for it at BBC; BBC absorbers1992-11.pdf
    I found it...thanks!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Well, for now, I'm going to leave the room's layout as it is (the console/desk will stay in front of the window). I'm currently in the middle of lots of acoustic work going on here, though. New 2" and 4" broadband absorbers (703-based panel design) and bass traps will be installed in the control room in the next couple of weeks. Also, room measurements will be made after the absorbers are installed, and any major problem-frequencies will be addressed using specially designed panel resonators. I'll have some pictures soon.

As for the current layout, I did talk with one of my regular clients and they made the suggestion of replacing the couch with nice bar stools. Their point of view was the fact that if you are sitting on the couch, not only are you right at the engineer, you can't see over the computer monitors through the glass to the talent. I hadn't thought about that! So, the bar stools instead of the couch would fix both of those issues. Only problem is, that couch is probably a great bass trap. I'll measure and see!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

QNote,

Yes, the amount of trapping that your couch would offer, depends on the couch.

Cheers,
    John
    John H. Brandt
    Recording Studio, Performance Hall & Architectural Acoustics Consultants

www.jhbrandt.net

SERVICES- HOME STUDIO DESIGN
    CUSTOM PRODUCTS
    Build Your Own Home Studio - Book
    PUBLICATIONS

"Twenty thousand dollars worth of Snap-On tools does not make you a Professional Diesel Mechanic"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12