Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Tools HD 11

Default Pro Tools HD 11

I have PT HD 11 running on my Win 7 64 system so while I play around with it if anyone has any questions of test requests, ask, and I'll try to oblige.

Note: My first launch of HD wouldn't play a song I had running in Vanilla, saying it was out of CPU. I think that was related to me leaving the MOTU buffer at 2048 from last use, that being an unsupported buffer size. After waiting about 5 minutes for it to close that session I forced quit and got this warning when I tried to restart.

Turns out it was a "zombie", the task still running that wouldn't force quit in Task Manager.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-25-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

1) What is Vanilla?
    2) Are you running an HD or a native with your MOTU?
    3) If you have PT, why are you messing around with Studio One?
    4) Please test the dual buffer feature, and report back...that alone is the thing that would cause me to upgrade (if I could do so without an iLok, I'd be in 7th heaven)
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    1) What is Vanilla?
    2) Are you running an HD or a native with your MOTU?
    3) If you have PT, why are you messing around with Studio One?
    4) Please test the dual buffer feature, and report back...that alone is the thing that would cause me to upgrade (if I could do so without an iLok, I'd be in 7th heaven)
    1. Vanilla is the non-HD version without some of the goodies.
    2. Yes, running HD with my PCI-424.
    3. I don't own PT 11, it's the demo. I just wanted to try it out. My last purchased version of PT was v8, which is currently uninstalled.
    4. I'll have a look at that... but not sure how I can compare it to anything else performance wise since PT only runs AAX plugs. I mean, I can test it with AVID plugs and instruments but I can't test it with any of my own plugs and instruments to get any kind of comparative reference.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 06-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Offline Bounce:

I have to say, I'm not impressed with this new feature at all. Apparently (unless I'm totally missing something) the only sources that are exposed to offline stems are auxes and physical outputs, not tracks. In other words, in my test project I have a lot of instrument tracks, each using a discreet instrument instance each, and I see no way to bounce those all to stems (offline or not) short of subsequently individually routing them all to discreet auxes first, and choosing the auxes as sources to bounce.

It's certainly good that you - can - bounce offline now, but it seems AVID's marketeers have greatly overstated things when they called it the best offline bounce solution in the industry.

Audio Engine:

Compared to my previous experiences with PT8 on this system, it's easily much better. Much more efficient in general with plugs and virtual instruments. At 64 samples buffer I'm running 5 instances of Boom, 7 XPand! instances, a Mini Grand, a modest collection of audio plugs, and a couple of verbs. It's barely touching the cpu. Can't relate that to Kontakt or Mach 5 and similar though since they won't load in PT 11.

As relates to doing things in real time, not so much. I can add plugs without glitching playback but everything else glitches playback. Deleting audio plugs, duplicating sends, etc, etc, all cause a glitch in the playback stream.

Cool... I thought HD was with the actual card processing, but I've been wrong about this stuff before. Never heard anything called canilla except ice cream and certain people And as for the actual PT thing itself, I've come to dig it. Took a while, but it does grow on you. Not so much as a love affair, but as a matter of WYSIWYG.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Cool... I thought HD was with the actual card processing, but I've been wrong about this stuff before. Never heard anything called canilla except ice cream and certain people And as for the actual PT thing itself, I've come to dig it. Took a while, but it does grow on you. Not so much as a love affair, but as a matter of WYSIWYG.
    I hear you. I'm struggling.

Been too long and I can't remember how to do simple things like assign multiple tracks to the same aux or how to temp bypass mix groups to move one fader in the group, stuff like that. I need to dig through the manual and refresh my memory.

I have an audio project loaded with 88 tracks and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it all organized.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    PT only runs AAX plugs.
    Totally a non-starter for me.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    Totally a non-starter for me.

SF
    There is that...Buddy of mine sent me email saying Waves was recoding to run on AAX platform, but I haven't confirmed this - just not a major concern at the moment. It's a big step (what isn't?) but dang! I don't have the client base to justify (READ: pay for) completely retooling to have this quite yet...

If ever. Some things may just have to stay in the 'would be nice to have' column....kind of like a 24 channel custom built tube console
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

There is that...Buddy of mine sent me email saying Waves was recoding to run on AAX platform, but I haven't confirmed this - just not a major concern at the moment. It's a big step (what isn't?) but dang! I don't have the client base to justify (READ: pay for) completely retooling to have this quite yet...

If ever. Some things may just have to stay in the 'would be nice to have' column....kind of like a 24 channel custom built tube console
    My understanding is that Waves will do AAX, but not AAX (hardware) DSP... only AAX Native. No clue how many developers may take a similar path and not code for the DSP hardware.

FabFilter is ahead of the curve, they've already ported to AAX, don't know if that also includes AAX hardware DSP though.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast