Thread: Interesting discovery involving two different vocal signal chains...

Icon5 Interesting discovery involving two different vocal signal chains...

Several of you may know that I finally retired my digital console after many years of flawless service here at the studio. I knew it was probably only a matter of time before a problem would arise and leave me dead during a session, especially since NO parts are available for it. So, I replaced it with an analog console...a somewhat inexpensive analog console, comparatively speaking, for the time being. I wanted a Trident 80B (and still do), but right now, I don't have the funds for one, nor do I really have enough clientele to justify one. But, one day...one day.

So, today, I did a neat comparison of my go-to vocal chains and this new console. So, I am attaching a vocal clip of this simple comparison. I was rather shocked, to be honest. Listen to these two brief vocal clips and compare and contrast them, good and bad, as to their recording quality.

NOTE: There are slight volume variations between them, mainly because they are two separate performances about 5 minutes apart. I tried to balance them as much as possible without actually doing any editing to the piece.

Sample A

Sample B

These samples are 44.1k/24 bit WAV.

I reveal ALL the details of these two clips after hopefully some interesting feedback.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Well...Sample A seems to me to be thinner yet firmer. It seems to have a solidity to it that's missing from sample B. Sample B seems "warmer" but "bouncy?" "Squishy?" I'd be interested in hearing transient material through the two channels. For this I prefer sample A to which I might advise slightly closer proximity to the mic or a slight bump in low/low-mid eq (or not based on the other elements of the song.)

Slamming through magazine edits and mixes trying to get out of town. May have to listen when I get back from vacation.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

I prefer B-sounds fuller to me.

Well, I must say I was quite surprised of this initial "experiment." These samples represent two separate recordings of a vocalist using two different recording chains (the mic is the same for both). So, here are the details...

Sample A
    Miktek CV4 microphone --> BAE 312A mic pre --> LA2A compressor --> Lynx Aurora 8 w/ Lynx USB card --> Mac Pro w/ Pro Tools 9.

Sample B
    Miktek CV4 microphone --> Midas Venice F32 (direct out via Firewire) --> Mac Pro w/ Pro Tools 9.

I realize I probably should have included a sample without the LA2A in-line, but, hey... this was done very quick without a lot of planning. The LA2A was compressing very lightly--maybe 3 dB max.

It is interesting how similar, but different, these two sample sound. Both sound great, to me. I know the Venice gets a lot of smack talk, but other than a slight ergonomic issue with the EQ layout (congested), it's sound is quite impressive. I'm mainly using it for monitoring, but I've also done some tracking using its preamps directly out through FW. Sounds really nice and smooth.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook