Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random thoughts...

Icon9 random thoughts...

When i was about 14 i went to hear a local band. They were playing a song that i was trying to figure out the chord progression to.. Spooky-Classics IV. I watched the guitar players hand, very intently because, i had never seen these chord formations before..

During the bands break the guitar player took me outside and beat the living crap out of me and said, "don't you know it's not proper to stare at a guitar players hand and steal his chords" :/ WTH i thought.. guitar player etiquette?

Just happy to find out recording engineers are not of the same ilk

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Easton View Post
    When i was about 14 i went to hear a local band. They were playing a song that i was trying to figure out the chord progression to.. Spooky-Classics IV. I watched the guitar players hand, very intently because, i had never seen these chord formations before..
    During the bands break the guitar player took me outside and beat the living crap out of me and said, "don't you know it's not proper to stare at a guitar players hand and steal his chords" :/ WTH i thought.. guitar player etiquette?
    That guitar player is a complete a**hole & utterly clueless about anything that could be described as "proper" with respect to guitar playing. Hopefully he badly injured his fingers while administering the thrashing. No musician worth listening to would ever subscribe to such an astonishingly stupid philosophy. "Steal his chords," HIS chords? Amazing.

SF

In my experience some recording engineers are like that. I remember sitting in on a session (years ago), where the engineer and his assistant used excessive jargon to keep others in the room from understanding what they were saying.

--Ethan

You're not including Rudy Van Gelder...
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Dave, Rudy definitely was secretive, almost legendary. Ethan, people think I talk that way all the time but certainly not to exclude anybody or trying to hide anything. In fact, I love to share what I've learned from others or what I've discovered myself. I wouldn't be the engineer I am if it wasn't for the learning from others.
    Henry Grimmius
    Fresno, CA

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    That guitar player is a complete a**hole & utterly clueless about anything that could be described as "proper" with respect to guitar playing. Hopefully he badly injured his fingers while administering the thrashing. No musician worth listening to would ever subscribe to such an astonishingly stupid philosophy. "Steal his chords," HIS chords? Amazing.
    I'd agree.

As a player, I take every opportunity I can to connect with other musicians in the crowd (especially the young ones). I'll show them the parts I play, show them my gear and settings, and if appropriate, I'll often let the kids play my rig so they can experience the thrill. It built up appreciation, a good reputation, and often an invitation back. Not to mention, it plays a part in inspiring young musicians to practice hard and follow their dream.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Wow...that's the 2d strangest story I've heard today! Guy gave you a whooping for watching him?

Yeah, people can be secretive....amongst other things.
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Wireline View Post
    Wow...that's the 2d strangest story I've heard today! Guy gave you a whooping for watching him?

Yeah, people can be secretive....amongst other things.
    WHAT WAS THE 1st?

I'm pretty sure Eric Clapton is going over to that guy's house to beat him up for watching an EC music video. Just think of the stuff he stole from EC...

During the bands break the guitar player took me outside and beat the living crap out of me
    Too bad he wasn't rich and famous, that would be an easy $10k.

Although that seems to be a growing "trade" of sorts, intentionally getting pummeled by angry musical artists or screen stars with ready cash, it's probably not such a good idea to try that with the gangsta' rapper type. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast