Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this idea? Helping someone build their dream studio....

Default What do you think of this idea? Helping someone build their dream studio....

Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

This isn't in my geographical market so it doesn't affect me & I really don't care, but a few years ago I received an invitation to fund a Kickstarter project of a client of mine. He wanted funding for mics, patchbays, various infrastructure stuff for his home studio. Since he was asking me, a studio owner/engineer whose studio he had spent a good deal of time & money in in the past, I felt his asking ME for money so that he would never have to patronize my studio again was in exceptionally bad taste. I resented his tactless approach. I don't know the people in this Atlanta deal & they're not hitting me up for money, but I get a bad taste in my mouth when I see people asking for handouts in an industry already saturated with people who have obtained their gear & reputation via very hard work. Just my opinion.

Scott

I miss the good old days when "crowd funding" was feeding a long line of cheap relatives who never kick in on the family reunion party and dinner and picnic but always show up to drink, party and eat.

If it is for a totally non-profit cause (as they are insinuating) helping lower-income artists, then I'm somewhat okay with it. I just highly doubt that is the case. Heck, my studio is non-profit...I make little to nothing other than investment.

Since it's my part time job and hobby, most of my studio income goes directly in to new equipment...not my pocket. I simply offer a service at a reasonable rate (usually lower than the competition) and try to provide top-quality work second to no one. So far, I feel I have done that and continually improve on doing that.

I'm thankful for those that trust me to help them with their projects, and their payment to me directly improves the studio to help their next project. And, since I mostly only work with Christian artists, I hope I'm indirectly helping their ministry grow and prosper. That's my real desire.
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

I didn't read it as a 'non-profit'; it seems to me that the studio's clientele are primarily independent artists (as most of us have more non-label clients than label clients) so they're helping them by recording them. Are are the rest of us.
    Honestly, while I kind of admire their chutzpah in asking other people to fund their new 10,000 sq. ft. business venture (with the only payment being the donor's name on the 'wall of honor'), the only reason I don't see them in the same way as the guys begging for money is that I don't have to actually TALK to these guys....
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    Java Jive Studio

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

Maybe they should double their budget and open and West Texas branch… I sure could use the stuff without the overhead
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

The whole vibe seems weird and shady, not to mention the numbers. Is there some kind of sweetheart deal going on here? I can't imagine anyone who knows what tgey're doing spending 47K on that gear. Unless they were getting a grand piano and a B3 to sweeten the deal. Plus maybe a U47 or a 251. Plus a few LA-2As. And....

Hallucinatory. If enough people see the same thing...
    Doug Williams
    Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders

You know, I've been wanting a nice two-car garage, with electronics shop wing, and a carpentry shop area. Probably something like a 40' x 60' steel building would do it... Hmmmm... Stay tuned...
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Troy Baldwin is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

Sorry, all my spare change goes to panhandlers at the gas station with more entertaining stories.

I have to be nice to them. I may have to join them some day.
    AD9 Audio Services
    ad9audio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast