Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honestly?

Default Honestly?

Just got an email from a friend that a friend of hers has a son who wants to go on the road with a certain band and needs someone to teach him how to run sound. "How long would that take to learn?"

How would you answer that?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Scott Fraser is offline Gold Club Member (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Just got an email from a friend that a friend of hers has a son who wants to go on the road with a certain band and needs someone to teach him how to run sound. "How long would that take to learn?"
    A certain band is in for a world of hurt.
    It never fails to astonish just how clueless it is possible to be.

SF

Ditto that ^^^

I'm going on 45 years (1969, Continental Singers tour, trombone 3, luggage bay R2, assistant sound setup) and still learning. Nearly daily.

Not being a danger to himself or the gear? A good intense 40-hour week being a dedicated, focused, humble A3…

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Entirely depends on the person and their desire to really learn, as opposed to some short-term fun. And, then, some people never "get it".
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
    A certain band is in for a world of hurt.
    It never fails to astonish just how clueless it is possible to be.
    Agreed. I told her that learning how to mix and be a "sound tech" was not unlike learning to play an instrument. Someone can learn a few chords and call themselves a guitar player in a few weeks. But learning to do it well? It could take years.

Not the answer she wanted.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Agreed. I told her that learning how to mix and be a "sound tech" was not unlike learning to play an instrument. Someone can learn a few chords and call themselves a guitar player in a few weeks. But learning to do it well? It could take years.

It never ceases to amaze me the degree of Instant "Cup-o-noodles" success people want. Just add water.

That's probably the biggest deterrent to keeping kids enrolled in quality musical programs to learn an instrument too. It's amazing the frowns I see when telling parents or kiddos that it's not realistic to expect to be able to play in a certain way immediately, and that it could take years to perfect a certain element of their playing. The big mentality seems to be "If I don't sound like a pro immediately, move on to another instrument until you find one where you DO sound like a pro immediately..."

And then whadduya know, then you've got a Guitar Hero rock star for a son/daughter.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Instant gratification. I swear. Where does this road lead us to, as a nation? As a culture?
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Would they think the same of other endeavors? Would they say "My son wants to play pro football. Can I get someone to teach him how in two weeks?" I would certainly hope not.

Or "My son wants to play at Carnegie Hall. Can someone teach him that in two weeks?"

I guess it all boils down to the perceived value and difficulty of the endeavor. Which says what exactly about what people think of sound engineers? Not good.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

wow
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Brian Shillito is offline 3D VIP 2010, '11, '12, '13. '14

Now I disagree with the comments before mine. I think you should have told her that you would be glad to set his career up by privately tutoring him for three months at one thousand dollars per day plus expenses, after the three months you would grade his progress and determine how many additional lessons would be required...

Best regards, Brian.
    Brian Shillito
    Blackfish Sound Studio
    West Vancouver B.C.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000844248569

Who added the "AT"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast