Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Systemic Risk

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post
    Speaking of which, my wife had to turn around at the half way point on their trip to Calgary. Better safe than sorry. Highways were too poor. Countless cars in the ditch, trucks jackknifed across the highway. Just another winter day for us. Sadly some folks weren't very careful or lucky.
    Glad she's safe. Tell her I said Hey.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by PookyNR View Post

Speaking of which, my wife had to turn around at the half way point on their trip to Calgary. Better safe than sorry. Highways were too poor. Countless cars in the ditch, trucks jackknifed across the highway. Just another winter day for us. Sadly some folks weren't very careful or lucky.
    Scary!
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Yeah, the highway reports were decent upon departure, but things can change quickly once the wind kicks up and the blowing snow starts polishing the road with an icy sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Tell her I said Hey.
    She said, "Oh! Hello Lynn!"
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    I've never considered myself a "prepper", but I know I have the essentials stored away where my family could survive for at least a month on our own with no outside help - absent electricity, natural gas, and running water. Given 3 days advance warning, I could get us out to 3 to 6 months with one run to Costco and one to REI. In winter, I travel with a 0-deg sleeping bag in the truck along with some food and water and basic survival tools, along with a means for fire - just in case.
    I think you can safely consider yourself a "prepper", Todd! That's some serious Boy Scout preparedness there; I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I think you can safely consider yourself a "prepper", Todd! That's some serious Boy Scout preparedness there; I'm impressed.
    In May, 2010 our neighborhood suffered catastrophic flooding. Out of 400 homes, 110 suffered damage deemed "catastrophic" and another 75 were damaged. The power was off and on for 3 days (mostly off) and we were told not to drink the tap water as the intakes upstream had been breeched and contaminated by floodwater of unknown quality. My family sailed right through and our home was high enough to be untouched by the floodwaters. My neighbors thought they were all going to die….

Be prepared. I believe this is a real threat: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2sfJTONxv

If you are not prepared to survive on your own for an extended period of time, I believe you have a naive view on the world. When TSHTF, I do not plan to have my hands out, nor do I see myself assuming a begging posture. YMMV. Cheers.
    Last edited by Todd Robbins; 02-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    In May, 2010 our neighborhood suffered catastrophic flooding. Out of 400 homes, 110 suffered damage deemed "catastrophic" and another 75 were damaged. The power was off and on for 3 days (mostly off) and we were told not to drink the tap water as the intakes upstream had been breeched and contaminated by floodwater of unknown quality. My family sailed right through and our home was high enough to be untouched by the floodwaters. My neighbors thought they were all going to die….

Be prepared. I believe this is a real threat: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2sfJTONxv

If you are not prepared to survive on your own for an extended period of time, I believe you have a naive view on the world. When TSHTF, I do not plan to have my hands out, nor do I see myself assuming a begging posture. YMMV. Cheers.
    In 1987, we had an F5 tornado rip through our side of the city. Massive destruction, many died. Many essentials services were not available for up to a week. We didn't think anything like that could ever happen to us -- until it did. Those who weren't prepared with a basic store of supplies were left searching and relying upon those who did.

Last years tragic floods in Calgary (and southern AB) was another example. Nobody thought many neighbourhoods and downtown would flood. Until they did. Nobody thought services would be shut off. Until they were. My wife comes from a Mennonite background where they always had storehouses on the farm or in their urban houses. Hard experience taught them that you never know when you would be isolated without supplies due to cold, storms, floods, etc. They did fine.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

Wireline is offline 3D VIP 2004, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10

I find it an interesting situation - a race, if you will, to the destruction or at least a complete reset of human life on our planet. Who will win it is still anyone's guess...will it be the absolute forces of nature, or will we manage to do it to ourselves? Either way, I don't believe the things that current western 'cultures' prioritize will be of much use when either of these things materialize.

I'm sometimes of the opinion our species is in need of a reset...
    Ken Morgan
    2010 3d VIP

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast