Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akg or Neumann

Default Akg or Neumann

I'm thinking about adding another LDC mic to collection. I'm thinking either akg C 414 or a Neumann TLM 103 is about my price range (used). I already have Sterling audio GT 66 that I use a lot for lead Vocs and a GROOVE tube 5sm that kind of their version of a U87 (multi pattern, pad, low cut) that I really like on all sources. I would mainly use on some vocals, acoustic/electric guitar maybe bass.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks -jp
    I need more cowbell!

You looking something flat, scooped, forward, a bit bright, or what? For guitars and bass, I'm assuming you are referring to cabs? Also, what is your budget?
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

The TLM is more versatile in my experience.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

I'm looking at something used for around 500

More on the flat side would be preferred.

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

I've never been a fan of the TLM103. I certainly wouldn't put one on a speaker cab (guitar/bass). The newer C414s can be decent on some sources. It's the old C414s that have a nicer sound, if you can find a good used one in great condition. Your tastes may be better than mine, but such is my preference.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

See if you can find a Langevin CR3A. They are real sleepers and they have A LOT more mojo than either of the 2 mics you listed above.
    Todd Robbins
    TX3 Productions, Inc.
    www.toddro.com

PookyNR is offline 3D VIP 2005, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Robbins View Post
    See if you can find a Langevin CR3A. They are real sleepers and they have A LOT more mojo than either of the 2 mics you listed above.
    They were discontinued and rebranded as a CR2001 (in case some reading don't know). Those mics kill.
    Am I the only one without a small type signature?

Nathan

I have a new Apex 460 tube mic that has just been completely rebuilt with upgraded components, from the element/diaphragm, to the tube, the resistors, the capacitors, even diodes and caps in the power supply. I've only tracked with it once (male vocals), other than basic testing, and the first impressions are more than pleasing. It sounds very flat, other than a slow rise in the high end (maybe a C12-ish tone). I never heard the mic before the upgrade, though. I purchased the mic new and immediately gutted it. Total investment: $400 plus my time. Advanced Audio and Avantone's C12-type tube mics are probably very similar to this one, but that's just a guess (the new element did come from AA).

In your price range, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the AT-4047. It's great on many vocals, and also not bad on guitar cabs.

A friend and I will be doing some shootouts soon with several mics and preamps that I have and will be posting my results. Should be fun!
    Quarter Note Recording
    Kinston, NC
    www.quarternotestudio.com
    QNS on Facebook

Again coming from a live acoustic capture "you-were-there" POV, I've been extremely pleased with a pair of TLM193s, used mainly for spots and vocals. They are sweet both on- and off-axis, and would likely be just a bit more than your budget... $850-$1k. Think: a cardioid only U89.

My one "mojo" mic is a G1 RODE NT-1 with the Michael Joly K-47 mod. In a running double blind test on his website with a classic U87, results are pretty much "can't tell which is which" on male vocals. What I do know is that, in those situations where I'm looking for big, bright, ballsy and with a nice "open" upper-mids emphasis, it's what works for me. The conversion includes not only a new capsule, but a completely redesigned basket that completely eliminates the spitty-ness of the NT-1... A used NT-1 and the conversion would run right at $550.

Cheers!

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast