Thread: Complete location recording solution with fabulous sound--rme ufx + bg8

Default Complete location recording solution with fabulous sound--rme ufx + bg8

I am selling one of Rich's UFXs along with a DAV Broadhurst Gardens 8ch pre (recently back from Mick for checkover). They are in a Gator "Studio-2-Go" rolling rack case with a custom rear-mounted XLR jack panel so you can access all 12 channels in the back and still get to all the RME I/O.

The Dav BG-8 needs no introduction thanks to the accolades of many users. http://www.davelectronics.com/bg8.htm A wonderful vintage Decca design from Mick Hinton-- for 28 yrs the Decca design engineer. The 4ch of built-in RME micpres are really quite good-- esp considering that they are the last four mics you will likely plug in. Asking $3950 for it all. The case and custom panel (made by Redco) adds several hundred dollars in value. I know it's airline approved for overhead storage cuz I recently flew with it.

The sound of this rig at 24/96 is stunning. I have refrained from copying specs because they are easily found on the web. All gear is in near-mint cosmetic condition. I can easily email you pics but cannot insert them without them being on a HTTP site-- so just ask!

As I'm sure you've heard, Rich fell ill while mowing the lawn on 8/27, and passed away on 8/29. He is sorely missed, both here in Savannah, and around the web on site such as these. I love reading all of your comments and reminiscences about him. Gives me a glimpse into the online communities he enjoyed so much.

Anyway - the rig is still for sale - I could take a little less ($3500 OBO) since I don't have to squeeze every penny out of it to buy more gadgets - I just have the pay the bills!

Happy to try to answer any questions at 912-484-8450 in the eastern time zone between 10AM and midnight. If I don't answer, a text is better than leaving a message. And if it's anything technical, I don't know the answer!

-Liz (Rich's wife-using his account)
    912-484-8451
    http://www.sonarerecordings.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r_panel.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	3771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_panel_lighters.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	3770  
    Last edited by Rich Mays; 09-25-2014 at 01:54 AM. Reason: change in reason for selling & lower price
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

Most of you know at least Rich's reputation. I know him, and I've seen this gear. He takes very good care of his equipment and you won't go wrong buying from him.

I'm sure others on the forum who have bought from him will agree with me.
    John Whitmer

"They didn't want it good, they wanted it Wednesday."
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitmer View Post
    Most of you know at least Rich's reputation. I know him, and I've seen this gear. He takes very good care of his equipment and you won't go wrong buying from him.

I'm sure others on the forum who have bought from him will agree with me.
    Yep. His old HD24 and his "extra" pair of TLM193s are still rockin' along, four years out from purchase. I wish I had $4 grand to spend...

HB
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.

I wish you did too!
    Rich Mays
    309 Gloucester Rd
    Savannah GA 31410
    912-484-8451
    www.sonarerecordings.com

BG units are great...Sold mine a while ago for 500 series rack, but I miss my old DAV...
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays View Post
    I wish you did too!
    Rich's last post, from just over a week ago. Darn. I'll miss having his input.
    Lynn Fuston
    3D Audio

Making beautiful music SEEM easy since 1979.

It was because of Rich's recommendation that I bought a DAV BG1. It's been a great little preamp for the money that I have never regretted purchasing. I learned a lot from Rich and his was one of the voices on the forums that I respected and heeded. Prayers and condolences to his family.

Neil McTavish
    www.briaghamctavish.com

I was about to say the same sort of thing, Neil. My inner child was eagerly looking forward to seeing the DAV unit sold, knowing how happy the owner would have been. Such a bummer about his passing, even though I never met him. Peaceful wishes to his family.
    "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." --Henry Van Dyke

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mays View Post
    I wish you did too!
    That online exchange spurred my telephone conversation with him on Friday, week ago. He was (as usual) trying to help me figure out the solution to his need to upgrade his rig, while allowing/enticing me to upgrade mine.

The first time we met, in the mid-'80s, he was the new bass trombonist with the NSO, and I was the new ticket-trade-for-photos shooter. After his headshot, he immediately attempted to get me to consider lightening my load with the antique, but portable, battery-powered Graphlex flash he just happened to have for sale.

We scheduled a meet-up for a beer and discovered we both loved it (beer... real beer, not that cheap, thin fizzy stuff or anything "lite", and preferably straight from a nitro-tap or vacuum pump), and Leica cameras, and fine mics (my Sony C55-FETs barely made the cut), recorders (ditto my TEAC A3340S vs his ReVox 77 - a B model, I think), preferred black-and-white to color as a medium, both had pro-grade darkrooms, were hooked on "Wings" on the History Channel, loved flying (me riding, him with the controls and throttle)... and on and on. What truly set up the friendship was that both he and my wife were keyboardists (he organ, she piano) and we shared most of the same preferences in classical repertoire. I was complimented when he asked if I would photograph his wedding to Liz a couple of years later (one of but a few non-family weddings I've shot), and we enjoyed regular outings, usually to Bosco's or Blackstone's, until they moved to Savannah. Early on, we compared notes, my Audi 5000 wagon to his 3-series BMW... and when I made the move to a 5-series in 2004, it was to his long-time (and highly praised) independent mechanic that I took it (and my current 525iT), and will until I don't drive anymore.

I passed up the deal on the flash, btw... but have him to thank for my DPA4061s, TLM193s, MKH8040s, D.A.V. BG8, and most of the technical understanding I have regarding location recording. He was also the impetus for my becoming involved with this forum, and the Remote Possibilities group on GS... both of which have yielded benefit and friendships I would have otherwise missed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3daudioinc View Post
    Rich's last post, from just over a week ago. Darn. I'll miss having his input.
    He was one of a kind, to be certain.

HB
    Last edited by hbphotoav; 08-30-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Harry Butler Photography, Videography and AV Production
    www.harrybutlerphotoav.com

"I'm CDO. That's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order. As they should be." Seen on a T-Shirt.